1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Dry Rubbing Graunchy Sound Coming From The Front (2005 999)

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Micati, Nov 24, 2020.

1. It only happens when I pull away from traffic lights or a stop sign. Could it be the forks? They make no sound when I jerk up and down on them and there's no sign of oil residue on them. Could it be the clutch? It doesn't sound like that's the direction the noise is coming from though. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Clutch. Get the cover off and blow the dust out. It will be gone for a while. You could consider an open clutch cover....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Suggest hoisting bike so front wheel is off the ground, and spin the wheel to see if the sound comes from the hub bearings. Twist the top yoke headstock bearing also, which if you can pull the front forks either forward or backwards a bit. Usually is a sign of a notched headstock bearing. Hope this helps'

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. i have an open cover, but will take a look, thanks.

5. Than best way is take them out and perform a good clean, brake cleaner will do the job. While your in there you can measure everything up if it’s all within spec. ;)

6. Might it be brake dust build up in the calipers?

7. What was it?

8. Wear a mask when blowing the dust out but you will be used to that by now! Obviously the right grade. Mine is doing it just now and I have an open dust cover too

9. Yes, Noise from the front and then it's the clutch WTF ?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information