1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Dss And Fuel Sender Fault

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Twin4me, May 17, 2018.

1. Morning

Just had the bike serviced and since then I had the traction lights (two orange ones top of the screen either side?) come on whilst accelerating. I thought that maybe the tyres were a bit over inflated and not gripping.

However last night on the way home I was in a average speed camera section doing 43 MPH and the DSS light suddenly came on. Turned off and on again but no change.

At the same time the fuel suddenly told me I was empty (I'd had a range of 5 miles still showing), was flashing all the fuel lights. I stopped to fill up, and check the DSS fault. But when I filled up the fuel still reads empty. I'm guessing these are unrelated but it's very annoying as I'm off to France in a few weeks.

Trying to get hold of the dealer (P&H) at the moment, but knowing them there will be a long delay before they even look at it.

Any suggestions of anything to try? Is disconnecting the battery or main fuse worth a go?

2. Did I imagine it or did you do anything with an exhaust eliminator recently?

3. Fuel sender shouldn’t stop you going anywhere, as long as the trip meter works.

DSS, mine was a rear wheels sensor that simply needed cleaning when I took back to the dealer.

4. Duc -EE was fitted beginning of last year. Still waiting for P&H to call back, I'm going to call Pro-Twins in a minute.

Fuel sender is just annoying as I thought they had fixed this (I had 3 on my old 1200S)

5. Tell P&H you want to buy a new bike. They’re very attentive then. :rolleyes:

6. Ha Ha (I'm sure!)
    I just got hold of them and they are going to plug it in at 2 tomorrow for me.

7. I fitted the Healtech ESE earlier this week, and I've had a few electrical gremlins, including an EML and a DSS preload calibration issue. I've removed the ESE to see if it re-occurs. If it doesn't within the next 500 miles, I'll try it again.

Not sure if it was quickshifter related, as I've had similar issues with that. <edit> it was the quickshifter </edit>

Remove the Duc-EE. If you have an EML, I removed the power 4 times, and it reset. As for the DSS, I took the bike out with the error, change the mode a couple of times, then when I stopped/started, it calibrated successfully and the error disappeared.

#7 al_b, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
  8. Are you sure you didn't accidentally plug the ESE into the DSS socket instead? It's the same plug.

Twin4me's DUC-EE has been installed for quite some time. Unfortunately on the 1200S DVT and the 1260S the EML is completely generic and could mean anything, whereas models without a TFT display actually show an error code specific to exhaust valve issue. I can't remember what it is exactly, but it shows up as something like "EXVLV".

9. This is a DSS error...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. If you've plugged a DUC-EE into the DSS socket by mistake you'll get a DSS error - not applicable in your case, as you've obviously had it plugged in the correct socket for some time. I can't speak for al_b though, because his issue sounds like he might have done just that.

11. I don't think so as the bike has run for several days without an EML. I'd have thought that if it was in the wrong plug, it would have appeared immediately.

<edit>
    Turns out it was my quickshifter. The Healtech is working as it should!
    </edit>

#11 al_b, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
  12. Battery ok?

13. Chris, I've just had my bike serviced and I also have a DSS error. From the error printout it appears to have started when I was halfway on the journey to Snells for the service. In my case it is one of three front wheel accelerometers, none of which they don't have in stock, so I'm off on my continental jaunt with just basic ABS and traction control, no fancy cornering stuff. I can look forward to a nice repair bill when I'm back as the sensors are around £100 each, add on labour:sob:
    See you in Haute Savouie.

14. Apparently fuel sender common......mine just went so used trip to gauge miles as part (as usual) was on back order

15. Not necessarily. A bit of resistance in a partially seized cable will stop it coming on for a short while - almost like the trick that a few people have done with a spring, but short term. When I first disconnected my exhaust servo cable the EML didn't come on straight away. I almost came on here to say "Don't worry about buying a DUC-EE guys, the light doesn't come on any more" ... and a day later it came on. :tired_face:

16. That 1260 is calling you Pete .... :yum

17. Just had a new one fitted. I was told there has been yet another new version and yes they are on back order.

18. Well not good news, on my way to P&H the engine management light came on as well. They plugged it in and it threw up 12 faults (Mainly electrical and sensors). They have kept the bike and are going to investigate further. They are saying it might be an ECU issue and they will try and reset it first. I'm just glad I took out the extended warranty cover!

I'm not really sure if they will get it done in time for the Alps trip (3.5 weeks), so I'm going to start looking for a solution.
    Options are:
    hope the fix it in time
    Trade in for a 1260 (bit extreme)
    Buy a S/H DVT and sell it again when I get back (lose money on the deal, but might be easiest)
    Buy a 1260 on PCP but then give it back when I return
    See if the dealer will help by loaning me a demonstrator (unlikely)

Salesman is back on Monday do I'll have a chat with him then.

19. Buy a 1260 Pikes Peak.......or a KTM Superduke R!!

20. It's worth a try. As useless as my local stealer is, they did lend my mate their demo for 2 weeks for him and his missus to go on holiday, and he'd only bought an oldish second hand GL1600 off em.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information