1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Dss And Generic Errors On Recently Purchased Mts

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Anthony Chan, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Hi all, I bought a used 2016 Multistrada DVT 1200S from a private seller for about a month. The bike was overall in good condition and had no error when bringing back home. However, the DSS and generic errors are on after riding for about 100km. My mechanics did the computer diagnosis and said there are a few errors relating to the DSS sensors. He suggested to replace the 2 sensors in the front first since his experience told the front sensors are having the highest chance of failure. I am now waiting for the parts.

I am still riding the bike from time to time and notice the DSS error is flashing all the time but the generic error light was off intermittently particularly when having some sharp turning but the light was back on again. It feels like having a loose wire connection.

I worry if the generic error light will stay on after changing the DSS sensors but it seems not easy to identify any loose connection (if it's really the case). It would be great if someone can share the similar experience and how it was being fixed. Thanks a lot.

2. I recently had DSS errors pop up, on investigation it was a broken wire behind the oil cooler, had to strip the loom back to find it, may not be your problem but it was a relatively easy and free fix.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. My DSS issue was sensor by rear wheel. Cleaned up the area and worked fine.

IIRC the bike may need to cycle 2 or 3 times to clear the light. Start, run up to speed then off. Leave to cool. Repeat.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. I would check out the loom around the headstock first, i seem to remember theres an issue with the loom rubbing around that area. Can anyone else confirm?

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Yes , where the sensors from left fork join near oil cooler., accessed via plastic cover under yolk.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dear all, thank you for all the suggestions and I’m glad with these valuable sharing. I’ll start with checking the wire at the headstock and clean the rear sensors this weekend.

I’m not very good at troubleshooting electrical problems. Is there any trick for identifying the broken wire location or loose connection? For the rear wheel sensor, should I use alcohol or carb cleaner to do the cleaning?

Appreciate for offering any DIY tips!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mine is the earlier 2013 model so maybe slightly different but, remove the beak fairing, remove the plastic guard on the bottom of the lower yolk, two bolts to remove the oil cooler which will then swing out of the way on it's braided hoses.
    There's a rubber block with connectors in it, check they're connected and clean, there's a section of the wiring loom in a loop to allow for the left to right movement of the steering, because of that movement wires can get worn and break within. remove a couple of zip ties to get the loom out as far as you can then cut back the black sheathing and check every wire. The break may not be obvious as the copper can fracture within the insulation so it may look ok at first, pull each wire and feel for a break.
    You could test continuity with a tester but that would mean having to find the other end of each wire.
    I'm not great at electrical stuff either but managed it ok.
    If you find a break it's better to replace as much of that wire as you can with a new piece, you don't want a soldered piece in the loop where it bends with the steering, it'll just fracture again.

This may not be your issue but I wouldn't be spending loads of money on parts before I'd checked the free things first.

8. What GT Morgan said.

9. BTW, just a heads up, of you have to remove front mudguard and wiring underneath that runs down to the sensors, can't remember if you're an S, there will just be another wire and sensor. its get a bit fiddly. You may swear. But persevere it's not rocket science, just a bit faffy.

10. I would have thought it is an S he has because of the DSS error.

11. Yes, it's an S. Thanks a lot for the tips such that I can know how to check and hopefully can have some luck. I just received call to work over this weekend so I have to do this a bit later but I just can't wait! if I still have energy after work, I will start taking off the beak in the middle of the night! :D

12. The loom normally pinches in the area of the headstem - lh side where the steering stop block is (metal block that stops handles turning further left). Common problem

13. Thanks a lot! I will take off the fairing to expose the wires some time this week, was trying to last night but I had to clean up the bird poo. My MTS was the only bike being hit! Bird can tell which bike was just cleaned! Lol

14. Update...
    Finally the errors are fixed.. but I didn't check the wires. The shop informed me the parts had arrived on Thur. After changing the 2 sensors, both the generic and DSS errors are fixed. I’m a happy owner now with no error flashing and having new tires!

The feeling of the bike is bit different with the DSS functioning. I’d like to understand how the skyhook functions since the sensors look like simple. Is it a very complicated system?

D9FD4281-7732-4A87-BA76-14B7AFEFA691.jpeg

3D7ACAC3-D906-44C7-99BB-D3F6FE9E1DB9.jpeg

06F37B57-A090-425A-9786-4B16FFDC2CB5.jpeg

15. I’d imagine quite complicated. Sensor reading are used by ecu (s) to establish when, by how much to add compression and rebound to keep the bike ‘as flat as possible’ for consistency, while also allowing the same impact for braking whether it high-application or low-application of front brake (ie dive is same)/

Do Not Sell My Personal Information