1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Dual Throttle Cable Design

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by flatairbag, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Interested to know the purpose behind the 999's two throttle cables?
    I have a single cable aftermarket throttle here which provides a quicker action.... and it got me wondering why have two from stock?
    Did other superbike models have this pull and return setup?

2. It's a safety feature to ensure the throttle can snap shut if there's a simple problem with the cable, assuming it's routed and adjusted correctly.

1098/1198 bikes also use dual cables.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Probably for safety reasons, but it it does offer more positive control than just a return spring when rapidly shutting off the throttle. Along the same lines as desmodromic valve action when you think about it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Basically one to open one to close.

5. On a forum dedicated to a marque that made the word "desmodromic" famous ... why are we struggling with two-way throttle system?

: o D

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Just wanted to give members with little technical knowledge a chance to reply to a question they could actually answer :p

My 998 didn't have a "desmodromic throttle cable".. nor did the other 17 bikes that I've owned. Neither does this aftermarket quick action throttle that is designed to fit to the 999, so was interested to know the reason for the design...
    Then again.. none of those bikes come close to a DUCATI 999!

#7 flatairbag, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  7. I know I am wrong-headed but for me, a single action after-market quick throttle designed for the 999 is not really designed for the 999.
    999s have dual-action throttles, you know : o )

I haven't looked back since fitted the R1 throttle mod to my 999S. It's one of my favourite modifications for my favourite bike.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information