1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dubcat Does Picos (2019)

Discussion in 'Touring' started by dubcat, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Prologue
    I'm new at motorbiking, relatively speaking (hence the torrent of questions - apologies). I'm going to the Picos mountains on my new (to me) Monster R. It's my first holiday without my family and my first time going away on a bike! I'm feeling a little bewildered.

I'm going with about 20 other people. One of them is an ex-colleague turned friend and the rest are friends and acquaintances of his. I have met a handful of them but the majority are strangers to me. They've all been riding bikes for many years and are old hands at touring.

Itinerary:
    • Ride to Portsmouth after work
    • Catch the overnight ferry to Mont St Michel
    • About 450-500km stopping at Angoulême for the night
    • About 650-700km to Llanes in Spain where we will be based for a few days
    • Return via Pont-Aven ferry a week later
    Luggage:
    • SW Motech Blaze panniers (expanded to 42l)
    • SW Motech tank bag (5l)
    • Kriega bum bag.
    The bags hold much more than I expected. I filled the bags to the max as I didn't see the point of leaving them only half filled. I even managed to get a couple of days worth of running gear in there. I think I could do a much longer trip with this loadout by washing clothes in the sink etc.

The 'Dry' Run
    I did an extended test ride, with the bike fully loaded, today. It rained. It rained a lot. My over trousers worked brilliantly but I need to get them on sooner after it starts raining. A soggy crotch in denim jeans isn't the best. I also learned that when I'm cold on the bike I get miserable and feel really low. Amazing how much it can affect your mood! As soon as I put a fleece on I cheered right up and had a great time again.

The bike is now washed and ready to go. Washing it was probably a total waste of time. The journey to Portsmouth promises to be an extremely wet one and ever since I installed the tail tidy wet weather results in a filthy bike. In fact, a weather advisory has been issued with prolonged rain and potential flooding to be expected. T'rific.

WhatsApp Image 2019-06-09 at 02.22.11.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  2. Personally I’d take less if you can. Less is more. Lighter is better.

Running on a bike trip. I doubt it but hey you never know.

Yup get your wets on early. Otherwise you’re just wet under your wet gear.

Unfortunately tomorrow sounds very very wet. Hope you’re lucky.

If you’re going with lots of others they’ll probably know this place but go to Riaño in the Picos.
    Great roads.

Take a puncture repair kit.

It’s little moments like coming out of a gas station that you forget to look the other way. Look TWICE
    both ways. May seem real obvious but it’s those tiny moments when you just forget what side you should be on or traffic comes from. Apologies if you’ve driven over there a lot but it’s a mistake everyone makes at some relaxed insignificant moment or other.

Have fun.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Brilliant advice @Sam1199 - I've never ridden abroad and I'm pretty inexperienced on a bike. So, all advice is gratefully received!

I do have a puncture repair kit - must learn how to use it :) I'm going on Tuesday night which sounds equally wet.

By the way, I'm just reading your blog! Brilliant stuff and really enjoying it :)

Look both ways TWICE is now going to be my mantra for this trip.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Listen to Sam. He tours all the time.

And less is definitely more! Remember you can always wash clothes out. Or buy new. :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Don’t over stretch yourself trying to keep up if you lose the others. Ride at a pace you are happy with.
    Know where the stop points are so you know where to meet if you get separated.
    Overall - chill and have a good time.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. All good advice, personally I found riding on the ‘other side’ easy as unlike cars the bike isn’t biased, and there’s usually other folk around to give you enough visual clues.
    never allow yourself to feel under pressure to keep up, and yes everyone puts on their wets when it’s too late!
    Have fun.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Again I’m going to stress ride at your pace make sure you know where your going and arrange for the others to stop if they lose you and wait for you.
    Don’t panic and enjoy

It’s not fun trying to keep pace with others who ride quicker

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Excellent advice.
    Also know your final destination for the day. Just in case you get separated.

Honestly, 20 bikes is a lot. It’s too many to keep together in a group. There’s bound to be a nutter or two in there, let ‘em go. It’s a tour, make it to the end.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. As above don't get sucked into the pace of the faster riders. With a group that big there are going to be a mix of abilities, try and suss earlier on those that ride at your pace and maybe form a sub group.

How bike-fit are you? Those first two days sound quite punishing. It's OK doing one or two days on the trot but a full tour riding one day after the other is going to take it's toll. If feeling fatigued once you get the location take a day off or just go out for a shorter ride, there maybe others that feel the same.

One thing that I always do these days is, on the ferry or chunnel, place a small florescent orange sticky dot on the right side of my sat nav. I call this my 'WTF sticker'. Every time I get on the bike whilst abroad it catches my eye and I think WTF? Oh yeah, ride on the right. It's usually when riding away from petrol stations, lunch stops, hotels etc that you start out, automatically, on the wrong side of the road. I also pack a sheet of bright green ones I add, to the left side of the GPS screen, on the way back for the journey home from the UK port.

Travel light as possible if you can.

Have a great time, the Picos are great.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Don’t get too blaze and close to the guy in front. A fully loaded emergency stop won’t be pretty. And embarrassing!
    Have fun.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. T Junctions and turning into a side junctions are where to keep your eye in.

French road signs are shit. Know your route. Use visa for fuel and peiage. I keep visa in inside pocket for quick peaige. Fuck knows how you spell piaege.

1st rule of touring in group, - no racing. Also when overtaking in a group, remember to leave space for person behind to tuck in. Try to stay in person in fronts mirrors, but not too close. The domino effect is real.

Beware target fixation.

When one fills up, you all fill up. Co-ordinate your fuel.

From nxt Wed, Ill be in Franco towards alps.

Oh and dont race the locals. Some of them are fucking nuts and handy on an old 1980s 2 stroke to the point you wonder if Gibernou is riding it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. This is my check list for a trip. This is all you need and you could thin this out a bit. I keep this list and it saves time packing for the next trip. Most of the time heat, not cold will be the problem. Layers are the key.
    Going up a mountain you might need to stop and put one on.

Decathlon do a wicking T shirt, you can rinse it out and it’ll be dry by the morning.
    Cycling shorts are also good for rinsing and drying but... they have a padded section for your bum.
    That little bit of extra padding makes an amazing difference when you’re in the saddle for long periods.
    I highly recommend, less numb bum. Can get a bit hot though.

Bike trip kit that we took.

Obviously riding gear and wets.

Compact wash kit
    Aftershave
    Shaving cream
    Deodorant

Belt
    Deck shoes
    Flip-flops
    Moto GP polo shirt
    Polo shirt
    Shorts (You’ll live in shorts, shirt, flip flops in the evening).
    Long trousers( less bulky than jeans).
    Swimming shorts
    Thin Jumper
    T-shirt Ducati
    White linen shirt ( I had to meet some friends and look decent, delete as necessary)
    Black T shirt.
    3 x undies
    3 x riding socks. Maybe 2 pairs will do
    only need 1 pair domestic socks.
    Cycling shorts
    Blue decathlon t shirt...good.
    New thick Lidl top with thumb vents. I.e. a warm layer for riding in.
    Long sleeved uniglo top. Excellent ultra thin base layer.
    Lidl winter gloves
    Summer gloves
    Glove liners. Not needed with heated grips.

Puncture repair kits x 2
    Hex keys
    Tool bag.
    2 pin USB adapter

Specs
    Sunspecs
    Passport
    Testicles Wallet no watch.

• Useful Useful x 2
  13. 1299S - new tyres, service.

US20 on tail

Roll on Deoderant
    Toothbrush
    toothpaste
    shower gel/shampoo (in little pot/bottle)

2 tshirts
    2 boxers (they wash/dry easily)
    2 socks (these wash/dry easily too)
    1 pair trousers or shorts
    flip flops or converse low tops
    fleece
    sunglasses
    CoolIT top (summer phase change top) and waterproof holder
    Tools - selection of nuts n bolts, threadlock, allen keys and 916 toolkit with a few addons, leathermans and a very small chunk of hash (for sleeping) although this is hidden and enough for 4 or 5 oneskins. Omit if traveling thru Holland.

Edit: Oh, and spare gloves.

US10 on tank
    Waterproofs
    baselayer (thermal)
    License
    MOT Cert
    Registration
    Insurance
    Passport
    Eurochunnel stuff
    Travel Insurance
    AA Gold card
    Visa
    iPhone
    Vape

Inform bank, and AA that Im going abroad.

#13 bootsam, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Good on you @dubcat for starting the thread:upyeah:. It’s a long time since I toured:( but all that’s been said above is bang on the button. Don’t fill up the luggage just because you have the space. You may want to buy something you see whilst away (don’t forget SWMBO will be expecting a little pressie bought back :)). Keep the questions coming, despite the ribbing you get sometimes, we’ve all been there. Oh, and photos, we like photos, even @chizel’s :D

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Yep, lots of good advice here. Like others have said, after lots of touring and personal experience, I’d go with less and not fill your panniers just because you have some space / you can. It’s one thing packing whilst at home and have time to ‘fuss and fettle’ but another when you are packing up whilst on the road - especially if it’s a few days running. Layers are best. Several thin layers (I always use wick away - merino wool generally) are better than 1 bulky item. That way it covers all weather eventualities. And, like you have found, get your wets on early....when it looks as if it about to drop, stop and get them on. Feeling wet and cold is s**t as you have found - but at least you have found that out now on a test ride whilst home, rather than on long days in the saddle whilst on tour...
    Again like others have said, ride your own ride. In big groups the ‘marking system’ (as used by the IAM groups) where the 2nd rider marks each junction for the rest of the group generally works well if everyone sticks to it, but chances are you will find a couple of fellow riders that ride at yr pace and you will become a sub-group. Whatever, it’s your hols / tour so ride it in a way so as to enjoy it and not feel pressured or anxious.
    Picos are a great ‘entry’ into touring. Llanes is a great base / place to stay. The N261 is a great ride down to Riano, and the N625 from Riano back up to Cangas de Onis, and onto Llanes makes a great loop. The AS214 from Cangis de Onis to Panes is also a great road. You can be on one side of the mountains in lovely sunshine, and the other in damp conditions. It’s that sort of place.
    Anyway, go and have a great time time !!

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Thanks! Really appreciate the advice :) The packing lists are SUPER useful. They are similar to what I have but I've got just a bit more of everything. Most of my ride-outs will just be with the tank bag and the bum bag since I'll be removing the panniers at Llanes. Still, worth lightening the load and I'll have a crack tonight.

We are using the drop off system you referred to @NRG_Mutley and as long as the speed merchants overtake me safely they can do what they want. It means they will be doing all the drop off's :) As I'll never make it to second place (which is actually my goal - standing at a roundabout in the heat doesn't sound fun).

Look both ways TWICE
    Don't TRY to keep up
    Come home ALIVE

The daily mantra grows :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. If you are new to riding in a group then most definitely DO NOT get sucked in to playing with the big boys. You'll only come a cropper. Fact.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. France is like UK in 70/80s. Everything shuts. (shops etc) so eating is at the times the french eat, otherwise Mac Donalds is for you.

Slow down for towns and villages to speed limit or less. Be very respectful of cyclists. They can and do phone ahead to gendarmes. :) Gendarmes have guns.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. I always took my oldest tee shirts and pants and just binned them at the end of each day leaving space for stuff to bring home

• Like Like x 2
  20. Wot, no inside out and back to front first... each pair lasts four days that way :D:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information