1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati 748/916/etc Swingarm Bolt Removal. Happy Ending!

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Chris Claessens, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Hi I know this is a well covered topic, but I recently decided to remove my swingarm bolt to clean and lube it as a precaution.

Bike is 19 years old and I don't think the bolt had been removed before. It had been sat for 15 years when I got it.

So I removed retaining bolt and washer, attempted to drift bolt out, nothing. I could turn bolt but it was 'stuck' in the collars.

So soaked everything in penetrating oil and let it sit 48hrs nothing.

So my solution 10mm stud bar, socket with 19mm o/d , nuts, washers and Pipe Freeze Spray.

Sprayed inside of bolt with plumbers pipe freezing spray.

Applied tension, then struck the end of stud bar R/H side with a dead blow hammer, it made a noise and moved! release tension knock back in from L/H side, spray penetrating oil, Repeat!

Don't know if it was pure luck but it worked!

Cleaned it up lubed with molybdenum grease and re fitted, will remove once a year in future.

Just my two pennyworth on a well documented problem.

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Great news! I had mine for 14 years and never managed to remove it so I sold it!

#2 RickyX, Feb 17, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 3
  3. Well done, I also remove mine every service and re-grease it.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mines 10 years old and I know in my heart of hearts it will be seized, another job to be tackled as I won't sell it... Never would have thought of pipe freeze spray! Thanks for the idea.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Do you sell your cars when the ashtrays are full? :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. No. Only when the washer bottle is empty.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Hi Steve I have read a few posts on this and saw that you recommended yearly removal. I am glad that I did!
    Chris

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks for your tips. I did not have that luck when I removed mine. My mechanic friend helped me drift it out. If I had read your forum first I might have saved some heavy bashing.
    vinnychoff

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information