1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Ducati 748 916 Fuel Cap Leaking, Need Help

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Karl Stephenson, Sep 19, 2021.

1. hello all
    need a little help with a problem with my fuel filler cap leaking.
    i only does it if i fill the tank to the top, the fuel seems to be coming up passed/through the lock?
    i know the tank has the breath and it does that via the cap but i noticed a cool wet patch in my private area today after filling the tank to the brim.
    ive pulled to cap apart and the seals and breather valves all look ok.
    has anyone else come across this?? or is it just DONT fill to the top??

thanks

2. Same on my 996 and 900, the manual states to not fit to the top, but to the rim when on the side stand.
    900 started leaking when I filled to the top with the bike upright while sitting on it and it immediately pissed fuel away right after parking on the side stand.

3. The leak could be due to a cracked overflow pipe in the tank . I had an 888 tank that did that, I temporarily fixed it by blocking the overflow vent at the top under the filler cap until I sourced a replacement.

4. Don’t fill it to the brim, only fill to the bottom of the filler tube whilst it’s on the side stand. Petrol expands as it warms and it’s sitting directly over a heat source, it’s simply overflowing and not being handled by the overflow tube which is probably blocked.

5. Agree, the overflow tubes get blocked where they pass through the ally pump housing in the bottom of the tank. It oxidises and the hole can become nigh on solid. I clean them out with a screwdriver when I have the tank off but it’s surprising how much crud comes out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. thanks for your help. i will have the tank off and check the overflow tube,

Do Not Sell My Personal Information