1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Ducati 748 Sp Do Or Not

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Kloekie, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Hi,

I am new here and I am interested in motocycles again after selling my last bike in 2011, before that I drove 25 years several different bikes mostly Italian. Now again my eye catched a 748 SP, I already owned several Ducati's and also a 748S and I still regret that I sold it.

This particulary 748 SP, the real thing, has put 37000 miles on it has a rebuild of the heads, so the rockers are all replaced- Maintenance history is further unknown, what I do know it has to be done completly - so a complete maintenance also rear tire and chain set should be done.

It looks great though ;-)

Price tag on the bike is 4000 GBP, any advice ?

2. Welcome Kloekie, that seems cheap for a genuine SP.

3. Really, freshing it up will set me back for 1k GBP at least!

4. Still cheap if it’s a nice bike.

5. What bothers me is the milage, ok heads are done but still is a lot of milage....

6. Agreed, even with the high mileage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. What would wear that isn't a replaceable consumable?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. How mechanically competent are you? You could buy it now, ride it over the summer, then come next winter drop out the engine and split it open to replace things that are likely to be worn such as rings & bearings. You’ll then end up with what in effect is a new engine.

9. I am quiet mechanically but not that good anymore also I do not have the time todo that kind of "large" projects so I will drop it at my dealer...

Engine rebuild is a worse case scenario and my biggest fear.....

10. I have been offered a 748 SPS, it is registered as a SPS.

However it has a grey frame, 748 on the fairing and Marchesini 5 spook wheels.

Is it a real one ?

748sps.jpg

748SPS_2.jpg

11. What year is?? Look like an R.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Registred in 2000, model year 1999.

#12 Kloekie, Apr 14, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  13. IMG_20190414_112849.jpg Certainly got wrong discs and 99 MY also had gold frame and gold 3 spoke wheels. Picture of my '99 bike which I've got letter of confirmation from the factory stating what it is which the previous owner passed on to me with the bike.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thx, maybe this helps VIN number is
    ZDMH300AAXB######.

15. Just as a bit of advice, I bought my 748R last year with 43,000 miles.

Had an issue with the engine and while it was away, the engine builder found the crank journals had worn right through. Well worth getting it overhauled at that mileage just for piece of mind if nothing else.

As @cookster said, it looks exactly like a 2000 R!

16. Wondering, get the SP or This R above. Ofcourse the R is from engine more nice, more HP, but also not that reliable and expensive to maintain.

This R has not the Ohlins in the back and front, the SP has Ohlins in the back.

Maintenance history on the R is not known, from the SP it is.

Is it that faster than the SP ?

Mmmmmmm....?

• Like Like x 1
  17. You can tell whether the 2nd bike you're considering is an R or not by
    a) removing the left hand fairing and checking the cam belt covers. If they sit 5mm wide of the engine case, i.e. there's a gap then it's an R.
    b) also the front disks should be cast iron on the R and thus will show signs of rust, others are stainless steel and won't show signs of rust if the bike's been standing.
    EDIT.. (I forgot this bit), the R has a 2 piece airbox and there should be shower injectors over the throttle bodies, plus the frame is slightly different to accommodate the bigger airbox.

It appears to have a oil cooler which is correct if an R.

As @Hughdg said above, those are the wrong disks for the bike, it looks like someone has replaced them, the centre of the disk rotor should be gold as per his photo. However, you can always replace them with the original when they wear out.

Also as per HughDG's photo MY99 bikes are bronze-gold frames and 3 spoke wheels, MY2000 bikes and onwards are silver-grey frames and 5 spoke wheels. IMO that's a MY2000 year bike and the front forks appear to be the correct vintage being TiN coated.

There's nothing wrong with a Showa rear and early model R's had Showa rears.

Apart from the external differences mentioned above titanium has been used on certain parts within the engine (conrods and camshafts I think), this lightens the internals permitting a higher max engine speed and thus extracting a few more bhp, plus this was an homologation necessity for race bikes. This will make an engine rebuild slightly more expensive but as most of the cost in rebuilding the engine will be labour the difference in price will be minimal.

If it's an R and if it were me I'd take the R over the SP any day of the week.:)

ps. I learnt all the above from others on this forum and have merely distilled that info for you:upyeah:

#18 West Cork Paul, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  18. Thanks Paul, yes it is a R i got the confirmation that it is a R. SP is ofcourse cheaper and the risks are less because it is a maintained bike, done 35000 miles. The R has 33000 miles done, with no history.

The SP is still also nice, ok it is not that sophisticated as a R but had the gold frame and Brembo rims, like that...

Have to make of my mind!

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information