1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Ducati 748 Track Bike

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by andy j, May 15, 2017.

1. So i'm the happy(ish) new owner of gray 748 track bike that was up for sale a few weeks ago. Been looking for one for a while and this one ticked all the boxes for me.
    Been doing car track days for years but always wanted to do bike track days. I booked myself donnington park last thursday and took the bike down.

[​IMG]

The bike ran brilliant all day and love the way it handles. Went out the last session and it was cut short with a red flag because of a crash. I came into the pits fired the bike on the stands and tyre warmers on. I then noticed oil on my boot and down the swing arm:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took the left hand fairing of and noticed oil down the side of the engine. It had collected on the top to:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So i decided to call it a day at that. To then top it off when loading the van i noticed the front tyre had a mark on it:

[​IMG]

The front tyre warmer had packed in. So a day of mixed emotions for my first track day. I'm hocked and wondering why i have wasted the last 10 years with track cars. I can't wait to get back to the track but got a couple of problems to sort out before i can get back out!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Your be always be sorting bits after a track day mate thats they joys of tracking a 748, they need good maintenance all the time. Though as you found out very rewarding when there going well. Glad you enjoyed your day.

3. good stuff mate, well apart from the bad bits! Oil could possibly just be due to over fill? Had this on my 748... Filled it myself and as per spec ( i thought) but i clearly fucked it up. Convinced myself that It was all doom and gloom but my mechanic knew the coup and 5000 miles later it's all good. Hopefully yours is something similar.​

4. Oil possibly blowing out of the breather.If it does,it can then collect behind the rear barrel and dribble down the lefthand side.

5. You are describing exactly why I won't have an older Ducati as a track bike :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Been driving old beat up track cars for years. A bit of up keep shouldn't scare me off.

• Like Like x 2
  7. I had a look at the breather. Didn't see any oil round it or split hoses. Going to clean the oil up and run the engine see if I can find the leak!

8. So got a bit of time to have a look at where this oil was coming from. It would seem the oil is coming from the inspection cover and the cam end cover. Sorry for the quality of photos:
    [​IMG]

the oil breather seems to be fine:
    [​IMG]

I have order gaskets and hope to get them fitted soon:
    [​IMG]

Can someone tell me what the torque setting are for the cover bolts?
    Is there somewhere i can find torque settings?

9. But a Haynes manual,useful point of reference and has all the torque settings listed in each chapter.

10. I have workshop-owners and parts manuals. What year is your 748.

11. Picture of gasket indicates it is a 2002 My with the lowered exhaust cam.

12. The bike is a 1996 model. The engine was swapped with an early 748 SP engine but i don't know the year.
    Chances are i have ordered the wrong gaskets. I also went looking for manuals after posting and ordered myself a haynes manual.

13. What make tyre is it? Nike?

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. :joy:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information