1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

899 Ducati 899 Clutch Lever Judder/ Click

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by DRR117, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Morning guys, I have just bought a ducati 899 with a sigma slipper clutch. On downshifts there is kick / mudder from the clutch lever. Bled the system through but it's still the same.

Can't see this being normal as it's quite a dramatic kick on the lever and it is on every gear as I go down the gears. Although I noticed if the bike is stationary it doesn't kick.

Any advice? I'm.confused and can't find anything online about it

2. A quick google search found this which looks to be along the same lines of what you're experiencing...

http://www.superduke.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17117

Extract below from a BMW forum re: slipper clutch judder on downshift....

The clutch judder you feel when downshifting is probably the slipper clutch. If engine speed is too low for the new gear when the clutch is released, the slipper clutch will momentarily disengage to prevent chirping the back wheel. It feels like vibration in the clutch lever and only happens on downshifts. Try blipping the throttle a bit more to bring the RPM up more as the clutch is released. With some more experience on the bike you'll learn what it likes and the judder will go away.

#2 Ben Mallinson, Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  3. Cheers, yeah sounds the same but the thread doesn't solve the issue. I'll keep looking

4. Ah right.... I best get used to it then! Cheers guys

5. As the man above said, if you blip the throttle more to match the engine speed with the road speed for the new gear, the kick will not happen. Alternatively, get an auto-blipper!

6. Cheers guys. Any recommendations for an auto blipper? Or anyone selling one they no longer need?

7. The sigma on my 848 was similar. But you could dump the clutch after stamping down 3 gears and there was no drama :upyeah:

8. So...
    I've re bled the master and the slave
    I've removed and cleaned the slave cylinder and re greased and re assembled.... not made any difference.

No amount of blipping disguises the violent thud through the lever. I've ridden a lot of bike and a lot of Ducatis and I'm sure this clutch lever notchiness is on the extreme side.

Next question is to take the clutch cover off and examine the clutch itself but I got this photo when swapping the engine covers and is it me or should the springs be central??

Other than that I'm struggling to dial down the judder... It's that bad I don't want to change down gears unless I really have to.

I'll report back once I've had the clutch out and examined.
    20180917_181243.jpg

9. I have had/got 2 899's both fitted with STM slipper clutches and apart from a click when pulling in the clutch leaver, it feels the same as any other clutch I have had, so i would say you have a problem somewhere, I would be looking at taking the clutch out and inspecting.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mines the same 'offset'.
    Have you checked the stack height yet? I have a load of info from Sigma if you need it.

my slipper.jpg

11. Cheers @Nelson that would be appreciated. It's Dean, I've been asking loads of questions about your blipperbox on FB messenger.

Glad to see you springs are off centre like mine... rules that out as well.

12. Knew it was you geeza....I'll see if I can pm the instructions.

• Like Like x 1
  13. No, checked the pack height had all the plates out still the same. Emailed spalders now for his thoughts.

14. On my brief ride yesterday, the slipper is really felt at the clutch on the bmw.

My old 849 had a sigma, and would pulse quite a bit on aggressive downshifts. 6th to 3rd at end park straight, no blip just dump clutch. Worked perfectly tho

15. He's fairly responses/helpful. Good luck.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information