1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati 916 No Spark Alarm Removed Step By Step Test??

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by vinnychoff, May 24, 2018.

1. Hi I hope you can help me, I have a 916 that has been in the garage for a couple of years now. I diagnosed the datatool alarm caused issues as the board was showing signs of burn on the board. I took this off and managed to find that the coil wire was looped into the alarm and the starter. With the alarm removed it now will turn over but If i put a plug to the cap and earth, i am not able to see a spark. Also the bike turns over but will not fire.
    I can hear the fuel pump prime up, (new one fitted a long while back). I have taken the crank position sensor off and touching this to earth, I can hear the relay clicking but no spark at the plug.

Does anyone have a step by step procedure to follow on the 916?

Thanks in advance.

2. The fuel pump and the ignition coils (and the injectors) all get power from the fuel pump relay. If the relay is operating and the pump primes there should be power to the coils. If there is no power at the coils check for continuity between the coils and pin 87 of the fuel pump relay. A brown or possibly brown/white wire.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Did you unplug a connector on the left hand side of the subframe, under the seat, off the alarm loom? If so, this needs a bridging connector putting in it's place. It's part of the OEM alarm loom that the Datatool connects in to and is one of the immoboliser circuits.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Derek thanks I checked and have continuity from the brown white to fuel connector and the coils the wires seem good. I have pulled off all relays and reseated them. I also took apart the main large round pin on the loom, reconnected. Still not joy?? no spark

5. Nelly thanks I have made up a lead and tested it from the coils that it is making contact through the coil wires.

6. That one usually kills the fuel pump as well.

7. If there is power to the coils that only leaves either no continuity between each coil -ve terminals and the ECU (unlikely), the crank sensor, or the ECU itself. I'm presuming that your bike is a Biposto with the 16M ECU and a single crank sensor. If it is a Strada with a P8 ECU it wont fire if the crank and timing sensors get their connections swapped.

8. I thought it could be the crank position sensor but reading these dont go wrong often. i have taken it off and put a metal object on the end. this then causes the relay to click but i see no spark. i thought this might be a way to test it? i then pulled the plug off the cps and found only 2.0volts on pins 1 and 3? could this be a relay or the ecu?

Vinny

9. OK single sensor. The CPS is inductive and whatever volts it gets, if any, comes from the ECU. It is 2 wire and a screen which should be at ground potential. My diagrams don't tell me which pin is which but it looks like either 1 or 3 is the screen.

10. So i guess if i am not getting 12 on pin 1 and 3 then its either the wiring to the ecu or the ecu? I have just tried to change the chip as I had a friend Pete two bar boost make a chip to the termis. No change with a different chip. I will research the wiring and check this first before the ecu.

thanks all for your help so far.

Vinny

11. It was on mine.

12. Vinny, the active sensors run at 5v (derived from the ecu). Have you checked both ecu and fuel pump relays? Sounds like you have power to the pump and coils through that one but what about the ecu supply (pin 87 on the other relay should have 12v with the ignition on)? Try to avoid shorting the sensors to earth as it will not be good for the ecu and there are other less risky ways of testing them outlined in the manual.
    If you need to understand a bit more about the ignition system, the 916/748 factory manual has quite a good section on the ignition system and also testing the various components.

If it is an aftermarket alarm fit it is usual to splice the ecu and ecu switching supplies (orange/blue) as well as starter and on later models the safety relay, are you sure there are no other splices removed and unrestored?

13. Denzil and all thanks for your help and suggestions so far. I have removed the relays, tested them with a meter and find two pins with resistance, the others open circuit. I have found one spare one that i will try out and replace one and test.

The pump is definitely energized as i can hear it. I have only checked the continuity to the coils re the brown white wire as this was originally spliced into the alarm.

Pin 87 on the relay was 12 volts with the ignition on.

I have a factory manual but not sure if i have seen the section for testing the ecu. I was going to check the continuity of the wires first. From looking at the wiring diagram i hope to check the wires are good all the way back.

I have swapped the eprom just in case with the original one. No change though.

is this a different manual?

Vinny

14. i am getting worried....

using the workshop manual.
    tested both relays. good.
    tested the ignition switch. all good.
    tested crank position sensor. good.
    tested wires from the crank position sensor back to the ecu. good.

i think the ecu is next? what do you guys think?

15. I found the issue, workshop manual says to test pin 35 and 17 or 34 with the shrowd off. undo the single screw. this had 12volts and tested the earths with a ohm meter.

then test pins 14 and 16 which should be 5volts out. Pin 14 good, pin 16 0volts. Had a look inside the ecu and i can see green build up on the pins going to the board. I assume a diode or connection is failing....

searching around for a ECU now.

Vinny

• Like Like x 1
  16. Nightmare!At least youve found the culprit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Has anyone used www.carmo.nl in the Netherlands for ecu repairs? or any other suggestions for fixing the ecu?

18. it was 10 years ago but I found it easier/cheaper to buy another s/hand unit back then. I have one possibly two spares, where are you based? You could even borrow it to confirm problem if you could pick it up (don't like to post).

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Chris, thanks I am based in Croydon. I have looked at second hand but am wary of spending out when I could put it torward a new or replacement.
    Vinny

Do Not Sell My Personal Information