1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Ducati 999 Handling

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by TheJackal, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Back from a Sunday blast on Valentina (https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/just-picked-up-a-999s-calling-her-valentina.81207) the "Nut Roaster" and want to hear any 999 owner's thoughts on the handling characteristics.

I'm used to Jap 4s that feel very sort of neutral and lean without excessive rider input. The 999 on the other hand feels sort of "odd" where by it doesn't want to naturally lean anymore once turned in.

The Ohlins forks on my 999s are set to base settings except for preload which is 15mm (+5mm from the stock 10mm).

At the moment I'm putting this down to the tyres that are dying to be changed (rear profile looks shot) but nonetheless, wanted to hear other owners thoughts.

2. 30mm offset triples and 23.5deg head angle will sort that :cool:

3. I’d wait until you get new tyres and see how that pans out. Shot tyres will upset the handling of many bikes.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. Yeah I'm banking on the tyres at the moment, aiming for a set of Dunlop Sportsmart Mk3 with a 180/60 rear.

5. Do you experience the reluctance to turn in equally with both left and right?

6. Ride height low at the rear

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. See post #6 :innocent:

8. I recently had trouble with the Ohlins steering damper and i thought it was the worn rear tyre / & both front / rear pressures,but no once the steering damper was removed the bike behaved itself again,just a thought.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Funny you should mention that, I notice it more turning right than turning left.

10. Try to go left more then :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. And remember, 2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 lefts do.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. You copied a whole set up guide.... well dine

13. Damaged/bent frame?

14. I seriously hope not. I've been through a bent frame repair with a 1000K7 race bike and its a messy thing to get sorted.

Bike cartwheeled itself down the braking area for a corner. The frame was red hot which made the aluminium easier to bend.

I would have thought that the steel frame on a Ducati is a bit more rigid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. are you very posh?

16. very.......:upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Best set up I have found:
    4 rings showing top of forks
    Max rear ride height
    Set of Pirelli Rosso Corsa 3's - 180/55 rear

And the really magic ingredient ......seat overhaul adding memory foam about 2 - 3cm depth.

My dealer used to race the model back in the day and it made all the difference to turning in..... recently did this to my my bike and they were bang on!!!

18. In comparison to a Japanese bike Or a Panigale they generally do need more rider input. It makes it a more involving ride. Have the mindset that it needs to be manhandled and you will be halfway there.

also, ride height as per AndyB is important. Lift the rear. There are some great suspension guys around that can set it up for you if you don’t fancy it yourself. Rob at Pro Twins and Mike Dawson at MD Racing being two South East based guys

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information