1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Ducati 999 Running Issue (2004)

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Airconadam87, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Hi all

wondering if anyone can offer any advice please regarding my 999 issue what’s just occurred,

I acquired the bike winter last year and it was in need of some tlc,
    it was struggling to start which I upgraded the cables from battery to ground, starter relay and starter Motor, all connections where cleaned up and bike started first time every time, I had a ride out of about 50 miles and it felt good with no issues,

I got it out at weekend to go for a ride after about 2-5 miles I was getting a backfire in the exhaust, running rough luckily I was close to home and limped home,

I got it on my bench to start with the basics, changed the plugs, tried starting the bike but it wasn’t happy backfires and missing, I initially thought coil pack, checked both coil packs with plugs in and getting good sparks at both plugs,

I was getting backfires into the air box which now I’m thinking is a timing issue, I’m now thinking it could be the crank position sensor? And more so with having the electrical box being out and roaming around with the cables etc The week previous.

cheers

Adam.

#1 Airconadam87, Jun 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  2. Fuel filter would be my first step

3. Im doing my fuel filter for a similar reason. Bike was fine about 8 weeks ago but started to bog when took it out for mot last week so tank drained and filter being replaced and will take it from there

4. If you didn't refuel as part of your 50 mile ride stale fuel is the most likely culprit. Then filter if no improvement, as said.

As fuel ages the evaporation increases its' density so the bike will run rich.

• Love You Love You x 1
  5. if its idling rough as well as running rough then i would be more inclined to think it wasnt a fuel quality/fuel supply issue

6. cheers for the replys guys,

before i went out on it i had drained the old fuel, and refilled with shell optimax,

looking at both injectors when its running is the only visual i can see that the fuel is coming out of both injectors equally, but trying to get it to run isnt easy when it is ,its firing fuel down the exhaust and sometimes back through the air intake, ill try get a video of it but i have found a connection i'm not happy with on the ground from the cps plug to the the ecu, not sure if its how it came from factory as it looks like its been crimped afterwards, ill get a pic to see what you guys think, it does show the sheathing to ground on the wiring diagram but unsure if this is how they are.

much appreciated

Adam.

20210613_142915.jpg

#6 Airconadam87, Jun 13, 2021
    • WTF WTF x 1
  7. I know Italian wiring can get bad press but that isn’t “factory”.
    Looks like somebody may have slaved in an alarm or something in the past?

8. hi Ricky,

cheers, i didnt think it was factory but also wasn't sure, funny you mention an alarm as it did have one removed many years ago from what i have found in the service history what came with the bike.

cheers

Adam.

9. Bejus who wired that Stevie Wonder not even a Friday midday Italian would be doing that.

10. :joy::joy:

Adam.

11. got a little video of the issue, it did run a little longer but then got smoked out, one thing the bike did do this time was it popped the engine management light on, so now im hoping i will be able to read something via connecting through the obd.

Cheers

Adam.

#11 Airconadam87, Jun 13, 2021
  12. Unfortunately that is a factory connection of the ECU wire onto the shielding of the cabling to the sensor.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Putting the suspect electrical connections to one side, it's possible that the spray pattern of the injectors could be the issue.

I'd still replace the fuel filter unless you have a record of it being done. Not necessarily as problem solving but just because they get neglected and will help prevent issues in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Meaning every 749/999 has this type of connection?:astonished:

15. If you strip the 999 loom down you come across some iffy looking bare linking wires towards the ECU connectors.

• WTF WTF x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. A little bit if an update tonight, I thought I'd try the jpdiag and see if I could see any faults showing, after a bit of mauling around trying to get it to connect to the bike, I ended up speaking with @chrisw who sorted it out for me and I manged to get it to connect, thanks very much, I've got a few questions really regarding some of the pictures I took, are these faults, past faults or are they current? I don't believe this many things have failed unless it's an ecu problem? I deleted them and then tried to run the bike hoping it would show something but it didn't

Cheers

Adam.

20210616_182406.jpg

17. Clear the faults by pressing the engine symbol. See which come back.

18. i did try this, but nothing came back on after several attempts of it trying to run and getting it to run but with back fires on the inlet and down the exhaust i thought id leave it for tonight.

cheers

Adam.

19. This is the bike just with ignition on,

20210616_182335.jpg

20. Are you running stock exhausts?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information