1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati Hypermotard mirrors

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by 1um3, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Hi,

I am going crazy with the flip out mirrors on my hyper, not knowing how wide it is through gaps and always second guessing, as I use the bike for my commute through Central London!

Does anyone know where I can get a set of mirrors for my 2011 796? I am not bothered about indicators just a nice set which fit the bill as I will keep the hand guards on the bike.

Thanks in advance, and anyone with the same problem/ solution, feel free to comment

Liam

2. You can buy master cylinder adapters off ebay for under a tenner - this adds a mount point for mirrors onto the clamp part of the master cylinder, like this:

[​IMG]

Then you buy the cheapest set of mirrors on ebay that you like which will fit into them. You can pick up a pair of mirrors for under £20 off ebay, even cheaper if you buy from abroad ... which is where they all come from anyway!

eg, items from UK:

pair of mirror adapters, £4.99 inc postage (throw the blank half away!)
    New 1 Pair Black Universal Motorbike Motorcycle Mirrors 10mm Thread Clockwise | eBay

pair of mirrors, 6.95 inc postage
    New 1 Pair Black Universal Motorbike Motorcycle Mirrors 10mm Thread Clockwise | eBay

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thank you Antonye, that is great, the mirrors look just what im looking for.

Do you have a link for the adapters, just as both the links are for the mirrors.

thanks

4. Lol, sorry!
    BLACK UNIVERSAL MOTORCYCLE HANDLEBAR MIRROR MOUNT 10MM 7/8" ALUMINUM CLAMP | eBay

or

Motorcycle 10mm Thread Mirror Clamp Fit To Back Of Switch With A 2 Bolt Fitment | eBay

or

10mm Mirror Clamp for Frt Master Cylinder has Parallel Holes | eBay

We did this conversion on a mate of mine's hyper and he left the handguards on, just as you are planning to do.
    Personally I'm not a big fan of the mirrors and I think it ruins the look of the bike, but I'm now on my third mirror as I too commute through London traffic too!

I did try to persuade him to buy these mirrors...
    CHEEKY PINK SCOOTER MOTORCYCLE MIRROR "THE FINGER" 8mm 10mm THREADS | eBay

5. Thanks for your help finding them, all ordered now.

Yes, I am not over keen on the look of them but its a nightmare filtering with the normal mirrors.

Is the master cylinder the brake fluid reservoir? Sorry if that is a stupid question

thanks again

6. Replace the clamp part of the master cylinder with the mirror mount version, like this:

[​IMG]

then you can mount the mirrors directly into them, so you end up with something like this:

[​IMG]

If you find that the mirrors are not high enough, and all you can see are your elbows, then you might was to add some extenders:

[​IMG]

Mirror Adapters Extenders 10mm LH External RH Interna | eBay

7. Rizoma Bar end mirrors - expensive but classy!. I had them on mine when I bought the bike but went back to foldy outy mirrors....they do stick out more but I think its what gives the hyper its character...

8. If you've ever filtered on a regular basis on the M25 then you would ditch the foldy out mirrors as soon as possible - they are a complete pain in the backside. To filter you have to fold them in, then try and adjust them again on the move which means slowing down and you can't focus on the road ahead as much as you should. I even tried just folding one mirror in but compared to my previous bike, an R1, the hyper is much wider. Replacing the mirrors is just sensible - note the new Hyper hasn't got them.

9. I do 80 miles of filtering every day, including the M25, and don't have a problem!

10. I think in all fairness it depends where youre filtering....if im going to work (which is mostly on dual carriageways and A roads) then I can filter and not have to fold them in but when I hit the edge of Bristol (Bath Road) then I have to and even then with them folded in I still get stopped as it gets so tight...

11. I agree with comfysofa - during rush hour on the M25 from the M1 to M3 there are times even without the foldy out mirrors that the traffic blocks your path. Antonye - If you're actually filtering for 80 miles how long is your total commute and I trust you have fitted the extended range tank.

12. I too commute into central London, I kept the guards and took off the mirrors. Now I don't clip things.
    No I do not have any mirrors

• Like Like x 1
  13. I do the A12 -> M25 -> A13 each day, approx 40 miles one way and 80 miles round trip. Normally the traffic is flowing but in certain sections you do need to filter. You can do about 3-5 miles of filtering every day through stationary traffic, but fortunately those roads are very wide so plenty of room to filter except for the idiots who can't do lane positioning! The rest is lane-switching filtering through moving traffic from 50-70mph.

On really bad days you can filter through a lot more, and it's not uncommon to do the M25 section (about 15 miles) through stationary traffic, as well as all the normal sections on the A13 coming out of London and around the A12 too. I've not yet done the whole way through stationary, but have filtered about 80% of it a few times!

I have to fill up the Hyper every day though, but as I pass a few petrol stations at the start/end of my route it's just part of the routine.

14. My commute is 80 miles each way and as I said before filtering for most of the section on the M25 from M1 to M3. I still would recommend exchanging the mirrors. Having changed the tank means I only have to fill up once a day now as opposed to twice. Much more practical.

15. if you would like to sell your flip out let me know in the market for some!

16. Changed mine 4 years ago and didn't keep the original flip-out mirrors - sorry can't help.

17. I know it's an old thread but for the sake of keeping it together - has anyone got any mirrors they have added they would like to show off?

This thread has been extrema helpful and now looking for a nice set of mirrors.

Thanks

18. Stock for me but, im always open to different setups...

19. I'm about to buy a 2011 Hyper (as you might see from my other thread on Top Boxes).

I live in Blackheath and do the Blackwall tunnel and then go right across town to Marylebone... so I do a fair bit of filtering. I'm going to get rid of the flappy in mirrors and get some traditional ones as soon as I get the bike. So I'd love to see other's mirror set ups too..

Thanks in advance!

20. are the mirrors going up for sale?

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information