1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati Mhe900 Clocks

Discussion in 'Sport Classic' started by Julian Swart, May 1, 2019.

1. Hi

I decided to write this post to assist other owners of the Ducati MHE900. This bike has a problem with the clocks not been water proof, and various owners have reported issues, even after just washing the bike. My bike arrived with faulty clocks, the green lighting was very dim, and the buttons used to change the options are both faulty. (After moving from SA to the UK, I needed to change the KPH ,to MPH which I could not do.)

I decided to buy a new set for my bike, and since I had the old pair I decided to open them to see if I can stop the water leak or take some other type of precaution to prevent them getting damaged again. Below are my findings.

new 1.jpg new 2.jpg

The clocks come apart easily, there are no screws or clips, they are basically just glued together with a silicone type paste. Once you leverage open a corner, you just pull them apart.

The clocks circuit board and components are protected from water and even the components above the board have been sealed with silicone.

old rear view.jpg rear rust.jpg rear view close up.jpg

The problem with the clocks is not that water leaks in, it’s that the water can’t get out again, and then the boards basically sit and rust / corrode over time. I found extensive corrosion and rust to the inside of the clock casings, and even a “waterline” that had been left over time.

I do not think it would be repairable, I suspect most of them will be as damaged as mine with severe corrosion to multiple components and the circuitry.

I think the design of the clocks was to allow water to leak in, but it should drain out. I think the water would drain out had Ducati not used rubber bushes to mount them. (The bottom of the clocks form a V design, to allow the water to gather and escape down the screw thread. ) These rubber bushes against the casing, especially on the bottom mounting I think helps to seal in all the water.

I decided to drill a small hole into the bottom of the casing to allow water to pass out. I knew exactly where to drill it without causing damage since I had an open set of clocks. Also the place I drilled it, is protected by the bottom mounting screw, if you did go in to deep. Please if you decide to drill the hole, you do so at your own risk.

new drilled.jpg

An alternative to drilling the hole, I would suggest unscrewing the bottom rubber mount so that it leaves a couple mm gap between the rubber mount and the clocks. (Do not remove the mounting completely the bolt inside the clocks can come lose. )

I attach some pictures to assist, and I will try answer any questions.

Hope this is useful to some.

Julian

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Julian, you mentioned getting a new set of clocks??? Where from?

3. Comedy gold.

4. A441973F-A51C-4268-9210-1C97A0FDC161.jpeg Ordered.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information