1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati Monster 900 Restoration

Discussion in 'Monster' started by buzzer, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Thought I would start a new thread... It's been a very strange year... I normally build something over winter, but this year I have been busy on my last build all spring and summer, and that is finished and at the back of the garage ready for spring.

So I have started a rebuild on a 1998 Monster 900, a bike I have always wanted to own. I like the looks, and simplicity of them, and they handle great! this will be a straight restoration and I will be keeping it looking the same save for it being red and probably gold frame and wheels. I started the stripdown yeasterday...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 10
  2. Shall be interesting to see how you go on.

It looks to be a pretty original bike: only the clutch cover and indicators stand out as changed.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I do like your build threads, the attention to detail is fantastic, following with interest:upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Nice one Buzzer

5. I spotted the clutch cover and have got a replacement... but I thought the indicators were standard?

6. Still my favourite iteration of the Monster I think. Terrific, do keep us posted. It's always nice to have a good picture-rich restoration thread to keep us going through the winter.

• Like Like x 1
  7. The stripdown continues… so far just one slight hitch… a broken bolt in the swinging arm… soon drilled and tapped out though... I bought a set of cobalt drills last year, they are brilliant for this sort of thing. wish I had bought them years ago!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  8. Tried to remove the cush rubbers today as I am going to have the wheels powder coated... the rubbers were good, so I didn't want to destroy them. You can't knock them out as the drift just bounces off the rubber, and there is no way to get to the outer sleeve... So I made this puller, that has a split threaded cotter. its a bit fiddly, but they came out a treat, and I can re use them now

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 2
  9. Just preparing the frame and parts to take to the powder coaters... On the grab handle there were two small dents that I just know that if I left them they would bug me forever, so I TIG brazed them up and filed them down. there is something really satisfying about TIG brazing!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  10. Looking forward to following this resto! :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Looks like the engine has never been worked on, apart from someone has removed the alternator cover and put it back on with what could best be described as glue! normally they come off with a tap, but in this case I had to resort to a puller…

Question to you guys... the engine looks to be very good... zero bore wear... Is there anything I should be replacing while I am in there? did they have weak head studs at 1998?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  12. Love an old monster its the one duc from the 90s I havent owned that I regret not getting one. Re Headstuds they should be good ones by 98 but there no accounting for ducati part supply chain finding a old crap set and fitting them to an engine or two, though the change over year seems to be mostly 94. I think the good ones are black and snappy ones silver from memory (and hope thats not the other way around, plenty of other threads on this to confirm . I'd consider fitting a more modern reg/rectifier of the MOSFET type and check to see if you have a 2 phase or 3 phase alternator. If the former check all the connectors to from it for corrosion, actually do all the connectors in the charging cct as they'll probably all be green by now regardless of alternator type. Last item I'd consider potentially a failure point is the crank oil gallery plug which is either a strip inspection (maybe able to spot it extracting itself with the barrels off) or it'll have the alloy shavings in the oil screen if its started to be eaten by the crankcase main bearings.

13. thanks for that Macca... I didn't know about the oil gallery plug, the crank is now out so I will check that...

14. Looking forward to more work been added, n1 @buzzer

15. The head studs have a letter stamped on the tip to identify them. I’ve had to replace mine a few years ago.

16. Look forward to following this over winter

17. the engine is all apart, and I am pleased with its condition... no bore wear, and everything look good. the main reason to take it apart is to bead blast the cases... which of course means a complete strip. I am glad I did it anyway as people have pointed out the crank plugs come loose which damages the cases. While this one was not loose, it was not tight either can came out with a gentle twist of the screw driver... disaster waiting to happen! its locktited in place now...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To get the bearings out I also heat the cases… I would like to use the oven as its a more even heat… but I can’t for two reasons.. the first is the cases are too big… and secondly she gets upset, particularly as its a new oven! So over the halogen heater it is… keeping an eye on the temperature… I also like to mark EVERYTHING, so it can go back where it came from, and in the same position. I am not keen on centre pops, instead I use a little diamond burr in the dremel… this will even mark bearings and means you can number stuff as well, and it does not cause stress raisers…

[​IMG]

Of course parting the cases means the primary gear has to come off… and they are VERY tight… you can forget anything but a really robust puller. here is one I mad a few years ago. with this it came off easily.

[​IMG]

The frame and wheels have gone to the powder coaters...

• Like Like x 5
  18. here are the carbs, they are in remarkably good condition! I had some genuine new floats and needles so I used those in the build. I did bead blast the outsides, taking care to use silicone bungs in all the holes… they came out a treat!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  19. while the engine and frame are away I have turned my attention to overhauling the front forks… they were not leaking but I thought I would treat them to some new seals and dust covers…. looks like someone has recently changed just one side by the state of the oil...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. the engine cases are back from the vapour blasters… what a superb job! attention to detail is what its all about and they came back prefect… I will definitly use this guy again… the finish is as good as I have ever seen… https://spvapourblasting.co.uk/ I know these cases are painted from original but the pain always flakes off, so I have decided to leave them bear, and use ACF 50 on them to keep them looking nice… this will probably be a low miles, fair weather bike for me…

the engine build begins… I got the cases nice and hot and pressed the bearings in, and then checked the crank and gearbox shafts end float as I wont be using a gasket as Ducati have now discontinued them and use Threebond in place … I had already ordered a few shims by measuring the old gasket (14 thou) and taking that off the shims that are in there… when the shims come in a few days I will build it properly…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
Do Not Sell My Personal Information