1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 Ducati Multistrada 1260s Vibration

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Bob J, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Purchased a new Multistrada 1260s GT in May.
    Just returned form a trip to the Black Forest.
    Whilst my wife and i enjoyed the trip it was somewhat ruined by a vibration from the bike from 4k revs.
    Checked all the obvious things but to no avail.
    It seems to get worse when the bike is under load, say going up an incline.
    Having cleaned it yesterday i started it up to notice a metallic sound now coming from the engine area.
    Annoying to say the least.
    Have spoken to the dealer this morning and been advised not to to ride it. Waiting for the RAC to turn up.
    Anyone else had a similar experience ?

2. I did my first proper outing (about 700 miles) since I got my 1260S last weekend. It's also my first big v-twin so I don't have a good reference point to know what constitutes 'too much' vibration. What I can say is that mine does shake if pulling from low revs, blurring the display, but smooths out as the revs climb past 3-4k.

I heard a scary story from a friend recently about a nearly new XDiavel he bought that developed a serious engine problem with one of the cylinders. The Multistrada has the same engine as far as I'm aware. Supposedly this is a 'known problem' but I'm taking that with a pinch of salt until I hear more evidence from different sources. Still, erring on the side of caution and getting your bike to the dealer sounds like a sensible precaution.

#2 Octoberon, Jul 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  3. Thanks for the feedback. Having previously owned a 1260s Multi i has a good enough reference. This does seem something more serious. What ? Only time will tell. It should be at the dealers now. Interesting with regards to the x Diavel.

4. Ah, you'll have a better idea than me in that case. Let us know how you get on with the dealer and what it turns out to be. Hopefully it isn't too serious.

5. Hello Bob, I was checking out the different forums to find out if anyone else has the vibrations I've recently been experiencing with my XDiavel.
    The way you describe your vibrations is exactly the same as what I'm experiencing.
    Took my bike to the dealer a couple of times now - they can't find anything.
    The problem is, I've had the bike two years, done 16,000km without this vibration - it started suddenly around three weeks ago.
    How did you get on with your dealer? Find the cause?

6. Hi Bob. I have a 2017 12000 mile Multi and have had similar issues. Vibrations through the bars, seat and foot rests. Diagnosed as main bearings. Im not saying yours is, but it will be interesting to hear the outcome. As long as its under warranty you should be ok. Mine isn't :sob:. I get it back on Saturday, hopefully its sorted

7. Hi Christy, that sounds frightening!
    Mine is of course also not under warranty any more:sob:
    Any idea of what the costs/man hours is for a job like that?

8. I think it depends the does it. The guys doing mine are engineers not fitters and have managed to remove the bearings without removing and stripping the whole motor. If it is a main dealer they might be able to get a good will payment from Ducati. Yours must be fairly new being a 1260. Hopefully it won't come to that.

9. Hi Christy and Bob,
    Spoke with my dealer/workshop again on Friday. I mentioned the main bearing possibility, and they said that would normally give an audible warning before it gets much worse.
    I have a small tour organised on Wednesday - keeping my fingers crossed o_O

Bob; any news on your bike yet?

10. I have owned a couple DUC's and have not had any symptoms to your description. Take it to a capable dealership, they will get it sorted out and get you back on your way again to make some more adventures. I will be interested to hear what the dealer finds.

#10 Scott Ward, Sep 7, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  11. Back in the day when I used to take females on the back of Ducatis, that vibration was always very popular!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Having taking mine to the dealers they were adent there was nothing wrong. Their main tester assured me that my Multi rode no differently to any other one he is ridding. He also phoned me at home to make sure I was happy and stated if I was not happy don’t hesitate to contact them. As I had. Or sold my previous Multi I rode them back to back and have to say there was no difference. I was convinced there was something wrong. I have taken it out a few times now and it performed well. The dealer in all fairness have done what they can. I think it fair to say that Ducati v twins Do feel alive when riding. I’m just wondering if with two heavy people on the bike along with luggage top box and panniers if this caused a problem. My wife was adamant there was a vibration. The only thing I can think of was because the bike was heavy, going up some of the motorway inclines I found it in between 5/6 gear. Rev wise. In short it’s under warranty so if it does have a problem they will have to address it.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Good News. At least you have some peace of mind now.

14. A good way to test a 'brush off' by a dealer is to arrange a test ride on an equivalent model elsewhere and compare.

Obviously drive there for the test ride, don't turn up on the same model obvs! :joy:

15. @Octoberon
    I wouldn't dream of using my engine below 4k revs with a heavy, uphill load. Under that, it'd be seriously lugging....

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Agree with Octoberon, sounds like the motor is labouring. The 1260 is a short stroke motor with a large bore, designed to rev not lug like a boxer twin. I often find 70mph on the motorway a more comfortable experience in 5th gear. Riding a thoroughbred requires empathy whereas the boxer twin is easier going and more adaptable to those less empathetic. I know, I owned them both. Give me the character of the big L twin, any day!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Interesting to hear that at the end of the day, the answer is "they all do that sir!"
    In my opinion, this is Bull****!
    I did exactly what others have suggested; I have now ridden 4 different X-Diavels. Two of them vibrated at exacty 4K revs like mine, the other two were perfect (as mine was a few months ago).
    I belive there is a problem with the 1260 motor, either mechanically, or with the tuning.
    My workshop had my bike for a week just to ride, and agreed that at 4K revs, it vibrates far more than it should. They don't believe however that it's main bearings - this would be noticeable at a larger rev range.
    The vibration is less noticeable when the motor is cool, and interestingly, I just made an oil/filter change this week, and this also gave the vibration a certain softness.
    I'm not giving up until I find out what it is - I do know that the 1260 engine can be wonderfully smooth (also test rode a new 1260 Diavel (non X type), which was as smooth as silk in comparison to mine)...

18. Hi Bob,
    Honestly, I really think it's the architecture of the Ducati L twin engine. It's more noticeable on the 1260 due to the short stroke, large diameter pistons. It's an engine designed to rev after all and one that's not always happy in top gear below 60mph, arguably 70mph +.

Two weeks ago, I was so cheesed off with mine, I came close to p/xing it for another GS. But then realised, it wasn't so much the bike as the gnarly, narrow, gritty back lanes I was riding it on; that and high ambient temperatures. I bought a Triumph 1200 Scrambler for those rides and quickly realised, it wasn't so much the bike as what I was trying to do with it.

Yes, they vibrate, but I like to think of that as 'character'! I can tell you, the MS comes alive when you cane it around a race track! And maybe therein lies the whole ethos of the bike, not so much sports tourer as super sports adventurer!

PS - Despite having an 'Enduro' mode, I can testify that the 1260 is an absolute nightmare off-road - don't even go there!!

• Like Like x 1
  19. I would be happy if vibration were the only issue on my 1260...
    Ducati quality

20. Had a test ride on a 1260gt version recently. Vibey down low. Top gear needed to have 80mph plus .
    Get the revs up and it all smoothed out.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information