1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Ducati Multistrada Stopped In Highway

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Bruno Borges, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Hello good Morning,

I own a ducati multistrada 1200s of 2015 but with testastretta engine model 2014 with 43000km's

I was on the highway at 140 km / h and the bike stopped nowhere.
    it did not turn on any fault or error lights.
    the battery is good.
    it did not heat or run out of oil.

when I tried to start it, it didn't work, only the starter clicks but the engine doesn't turn.

I'm very worried,
    someone with identical situation ?!

thank you

2. Did the engine lock up?

Any nasty noises

Belts broken?

3. Could be as simple as a side stand switch dropped apart. That would do it........

4. the engine does not lock while running, but after, try to start and the starter engine clicks but the engine does not turn.

as for the noise I didn’t realize it, it was very fast, from one moment to the next the engine went off.

the straps are good, I already opened the side covers

5. but if it were the sensor of the sidestand, the start engine would not give the click I think ..

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. the engine does not lock while running, but after, try to start and the starter engine clicks but the engine does not turn.

as for the noise I didn’t realize it, it was very fast, from one moment to the next the engine went off.

the straps are good, I already opened the side covers

7. No dash warning lights?

Sounds electrical

8. No dash warning lights,
    But the battery is good

something electrical can stop the engine, have current, get to the starter click and not turn the engine over ?!

9. Battery

If you've not replaced it recently, they usually last 2-3years'

Have you checked the emergency stop/engine off switch?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. the battery did not stop the bike on the highway.
    or can?

11. In theory - older bikes once running did not need a battery

Not sure on newer ones with FI and Electronic Ignition

If the battery has completely died - then maybe it explains

But if dash lights are on and there is a click - and lights do not dim its unlikely battery.

Normally the click is the starter solenoid partially engaging... but not sure in your case..

Have you checked all the fuses under the seat?

12. This issue has appeared on the forum on previous occasions. Some people have flooded the kill switch assembly with WD40 and it’s solved issue. Some have replaced with a new kill switch.
    Not sure if this will help with your issue but perhaps.

13. Regulator burnt out?

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. You may have a very good battery, but if the regulator is not allowing it to charge as you ride, your battery will go flat, there might be enough power to illuminate the dash and prime the fuel pump, but then only just enough left to make the starter solenoid click

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Something similar happened to me whilst on a trip to Belgium, which ended up being the BBS unit.
    Not especially expensive, but costly enough, but then this was a while ago!
    Loads of people here will have theories as to potential reasons, including myself of course, all/some/none of which will make sense and perhaps be the answer.
    Best foot forward IMO, is to get it recovered and then diagnosed using the computer connection, which will at least tell you categorically, or almost, what precisely the issue actually is....
    Good luck with finding your solution and let us know what it is :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. I would agree with Tony ^^. I'd think its battery or charging related, but you need to plug in and see what the reader says

17. Had this happen with my DVT on a Belgian Motorway at about the same speed BUT that was a snapped chain that locked the front sprocket solid, scary but easy to spot the problem on the hard shoulder!

Any coughs or splutter / misfires before it stopped? possible fuel supply or pump?
    Can you select gears and get it into neutral and move the bike? if so Gearbox should be OK
    Oil level - is that OK?
    I am not sure that it is electrical, sounds like the motor is seized solid. need more info on what happened to be sure.

18. Not yet :(

19. If you remove the spark plugs, you should be able to put your bike in gear and using the rear wheel, turn the engine over by hand. If you can’t, then it is mechanical.

20. That same thing happened to me, exactly as you describe it, I didn't know where it was from, and I called Ducati on the phone, they told me to look at the primary connector, under the right side of the driver's seat, it was fired, the plastic had melted and when I wanted to make some contact and I turned on the dash but it would not start, and other times touching the cables to contact and I started, I bridged the connector and I could continue and end the trip, in Ducati they told me that it was a known fault in the multistrada. I'm sorry I don't have photos, but it looks good, it's like a square relay that gets thick cables from the battery, look at it

• Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information