1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati On Off Button Not Working

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Barry Bennett, Sep 21, 2021.

Tags:
  1. C79600B5-37FD-4556-854A-AF7023507AFD.jpeg Hi all I have a 2017 Multistrada Enduro.
    The bike went in for a service and a key fob warranty exchange back in July/August they delivered the bike back to me and the on off button pictured would not turn on the bike, I used the recovery unlock system button and the bike turned on perfectly, again the on off button pictured would not turn the bike off. Today it went back to Ducati and they said it would be a faulty switch, switch exchanged and the problem still exists, they reprogrammed a new key again and still no good, they checked the canbus and no errors? They have sent me home saying they need to send the sheets to Ducati to ask what to try next. The bike has ran faultless for years so it’s not making sense. It’s not the battery as we have tried a new battery and a new fob, no errors so what else could I try?

2. 'Handsfree' gubbins next I assume but have no idea really - following for info (got a 2016 Enduro).

3. This strikes me a incorrect diagnosis in the first place. What was the reason for the reason for the original key fob warranty exchange?

4. not certain, but this might be a @chrisw area.

5. Not an area where I can help. Perhaps @nelly can give some insight.

6. It was a Ducati recall as they now have a reset button on the inside of the fob.

7. Had my (1200 Enduro) keyfob changed under the recall, original one wasn't being recognised on regular occasions. No problem with the new one.

8. Could possibly be the antenna? If the recovery button is working, then that's a good indicator the handsfree is ok. Try the key over the antenna, lay it on the fairing panel and see if that works. If the switch and fob have been replaced, then that should rule them out. You have to assume the reprogramming of the keys was done correctly, so there's not a lot more to go on really. Other than that it could be wiring, but that will need testing out.

9. I'm lead to believe that the spare non fob key still has a chip in it, the passive variety. You need to, as Nelly says, place it on/v. close to the antenna. There is a symbol moulded into the right-hand black panel under the bars. If that works then it's probably an issue with the fob key still.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yes I think this is what they thought originally but it’s been Eliminated it with changing the Fob for another new one. Wish I hand the original key to check but they destroyed.

#10 Barry Bennett, Sep 22, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  11. Placed the red key on the panel. Where I believe the reader is and still nothing in fact when pressing the recovery unlock its asking for the pin leading me to believe there is no chip in the master key.

A4D2EA67-0DEE-46DB-BB1D-D7070BD816C9.jpeg

12. Hi as you said it’s been eliminated, as for the wiring fault Ducati said the canbus cables do more than just one thing so they would expect other things not to work and see an error code?

13. Does the fob key work on the antenna? To program the new keys, the antenna has to work. If neither key works, the programming sequence may not have been completed correctly?

14. From the owners handbook:
    20210922_ducati-passive-key_02.png
    20210922_ducati-passive-key.png
    Will need to access my bike to verify this, not possible until later, possibly tomorrow. Maybe someone else can confirm?

This, quite possibly, confirms that it's a duff antenna or wiring to the same.

#14 Bumpkin, Sep 22, 2021
  15. Hi yes the current fob works on the recovery switch but not on the handle bar.

16. I cannot see any key symbol on the panel. I can feel the cable under the panel

4095D919-4D0F-4C16-8D18-B5C52F6EB755.jpeg

17. That's interesting, maybe the antenna is located somewhere else on the Enduro... no, just looked at the 2017 1200 Enduro handbook, looks different but located under the same panel by the looks of it. No mention of a symbol though, unlike the 1260 Enduro which does.
    20210922_ducati-passive-key_03.png
    Still mentions the passive key and has a similar drawing of the components as in my previous post.
    20210922_ducati-passive-key_04.png

#17 Bumpkin, Sep 22, 2021
  18. I tried the passive key again in many places along that panel and every time the handlebar button would not work and the recovery button would not pick up the transponder as it would only ask for the pin no… Ducati are coming for the bike on Tuesday and said they will keep it until it’s resolved but I’m slightly worried at what cost….

19. Passive (red) key definitely works on my '16 1200 Enduro.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Recovery button completely bypasses the need for the transponder chip.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information