1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 Ducati Panigale V4 Chuckle Modulater

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Dave dunlop, Feb 5, 2021.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. Some big claims! I’m sure a top level rider might just tell the difference on the track?

But sure the front would have the same issues? Ie.... Chatter not Natter!

Anyone know the frequency Kenneth?

2. Have it on my shortlist of items for my bike. Really interested to see if they can back up their claims. Know they're used a lot in MotoGP, Moto2 etc. Some good explanations and info from this guy. Might end up being just another expensive eye candy though.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. I have some magic beans for sale if you’re interested :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Is your suspension viby ? Never noticed it myself but them I'm 18+ stone in my leathers which should be plenty to dampen out oscillations :joy: Gimmic IMO. Andy

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. I'm 67kg dripping wet. Let's just say I may have succumbed to the claimed benefits over a year ago after I rode a 1299S in Italy with one fitted, Could be because it had extemely well sorted suspension and/or the resonator was making a difference. Hard to quantify I fully appreciate but I got hold of one for a V4 at a considerably lower price than that advertised, through a contact. I'll have more details on the build thread in due course :bucktooth:

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Better off fitting a flux capacitor

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Doubt they would have fitted them on the MotoGP and Moto2 bikes if they weren't useful. Last time I checked they weren't really big on putting extra weight on the bike for no reason. I'm planning on putting one on my SSSA swapped 999R myself. Looking forward to hearing your experience on it on your V4!

8. Yes intrigued to see how it fairs. I've yet to be convinced admittedly but given it didn't cost me the earth I've nothing to lose. If its nothing more than a paperweight then so be it but I'll certainly try it and see if it meets its claims before I pass judgement.

• Like Like x 1
  9. If nothing else it looks pretty cool.

10. I dare anyone to bolt one on for their next track day.

Oi, who's that pointing over here and sniggering with his mates..... :eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Big claim saying it will reduce highsides by 90%:eek::eek: I’m just not buying it:rolleyes: Not for a road bike anyway. I can see a well educated top level bike racer perhaps feeling some difference on track. If it was that much of a revelation and ground breaking then they would be everywhere..... Surely :bucktooth:

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Like I said I remain sceptical but it cost me very little so I'll throw it on and see what gives. If not it'll be on Ebay for a song soon after.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Not sure I trust those numbers either but they are everywhere on track in the top division though.

https://imgur.com/y8zuL7z

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/articles/motorcycles/motogp/motogp-mutterings-catalunya

https://www.paddock-gp.com/technique-mass-dampers-etaient-nos-yeux/

I'm sure the difference isn't worth it for the cost of it for most people and for the margins of manufacturers though. In no way do I need one. Still gonna get one though :p

14. Ah just get yourself one of these for a fraction of the cost and kid yourself it’s the real deal..... let’s face I can see similarities :joy: .... I will get my running shoes on now!!

1FF0B999-9081-46FB-9628-2AB1FDCA8C44.png DC65997D-2734-456D-9AFA-2943286D9D26.png

15. I can’t actually Unsee that now! :joy::joy::joy:

B22196A4-77B5-4C18-B785-AB685B616C9A.png 7CD974E2-9A1D-4CB8-9A98-B25A9EC97ECF.png

16. Built in butt plug

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Reminds me of the containers you used to put camera films in.

18. Directly from the website......

"The Oversuspension project for street bikes consists of a revolutionary adjustable gravitational resonator that allows to mediate the frequencies generated by the suspension unit when the shock absorber is not effective, improving driving precision, traction, braking and generally the stability of the vehicle , contributing to vehicle safety both on the road and on the track.
    In particular, our device provides to regularize or cancel the resonant frequencies of the oscillating arm when this passes from a state of unsprung mass to suspended mass, thus drastically reducing the rebounds of the pneumatic group on the asphalt.
    The device also operates during the intervention of the ABS system, greatly improving braking, and during the intervention of the traction control systems for which it is of absolute benefit, then improves the electronically controlled suspension, where mitigating the occasional resonances makes the auto-calibration of the suspension more precise.
    In case of wet conditions, it is able to reduce the phenomenon of aquaplaning, in the presence of uneven ground to reduce the structural stress of the vehicle.

The device consists of a light alloy tube obtained from a solid material which houses a very dense metal mass with a high specific weight. This mass is covered with a super finish that allows it to slide inside a bush. On the one hand its movement inside the tube is put in opposition to a spring and on the other it rests on a special polymer that we developed. A micrometric screw system allows to vary the spring preload and therefore to vary the resonance frequency of the mass."

These mass dampers have now been made a mandatory fit in the Italian WSB series, as the data showed a marked reduction in highsides and chatter related handling issues. How much of this correlates to a road bike is questionable in my view, or at least you being able to feel the benefits of it, but as I said in an earlier post, it cost me near next to nowt, so I will stick it on and see with or without it fitted if I notice any difference. Probably not but I am willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. I will post up some pics on the build thread as and when.

Here's a couple of videos that discuss it in more detail and one showing the anatomy of the unit. The latter two are not the most scientific in substance or perhaps even the accuracy of their content, but it gives you an idea of the concept behind mass damping. Similar devices are fitted to many helicopters and speaking from personal experience they make a huge difference in reducing oscillatory vibrations both in vertical and horizontal planes. Granted the loads on a motorcycle are nothing by comparison but the principles are the same.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information