1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Ducati Racing Rev Counter - Nooooooo!!!

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Lazza, May 1, 2018.

1. F:skull::poop:k, sh:dizzy:t, b:sob:ll:scream:ks!! :skull:

Yes I somehow have a large crack in the rev counter glass - which weirdly includes the black outer frame, the crack spread to it too!!

Yes I was working on the front brake reservoir. No I didn't notice anything drop or hit it!

Can the glass be extracted and replaced - does it need to be done by a professional?

Very depressed! Please advise! Very pi55ed off tw4t!

2. My rev counter for 916SPS with P8 ecu got damaged. Secondhand ones were impossible to find.
    In the end, I bought a secondhand “normal” rev counter and very carefully sawed the entire glass and bezel off. I then did the same to my one which was cracked and glued the new part on.
    You could only see the join if you knew what you were looking for.

3. Can't replace just the glass replacement required.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. It is possible, I've done this a few times myself. I'm just doing a write up of it in projects, on exactly the same specimen as yours.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Hold on. Is this a set up?

Where's the camera?

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. In fact, Ed31 now owns the bike that I did the tacho glass repair on.

7. Cant have been any good Rix as he's in another thread showing how he fixed it.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. I'm a serial 916 hoarder, I think the only one that hasn't needed its instruments touched is Rickyx's old bike. Now I know why

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. IMG_0167.JPG IMG_0158.JPG IMG_0160.JPG IMG_0161.JPG IMG_0162.JPG IMG_0163.JPG IMG_0164.JPG IMG_0168.JPG IMG_0169.JPG Hi Guys! Thought I would give you an update on my cracked Rev counter! I had in my possession an old mph speedo I had bought years ago due to MOT centre failing my KPH one! But then changed their minds a few years later and failed the MPH one as it didn't have kph as well! Anyway, I digress!

SO I had a go at gently prizing off the cracked glass on the tacho and by carefully inserting a blade (like a scalpel or craft blade) between the white rim and the bezel edge (from the back) it eventually came away. It took a lot of patience, by gently (with some pressure) going round and round the lip at back, between the black outer and white inner - these are glued intermittently. So the idea was to work my way thru the glue. AS it was already cracked, I wasn't worried about more damage but at same time needed to see how tidy I could get it off. It took a while and patience was def the key, but it came off.

Next was the speedo. I started by doing the same way - but it appeared have more glue so as someone else had suggested I cut the glass off at the white flange with a hacksaw! I then returned to the previous method, inserting the blade tip between the white flange and black outer bezel, going round and round gently with pressure. Eventually, (20mins) it started to free up, and then it came away, nice and cleanly.

I now have a nice (decent) glass to refit to my original P8 tacho (and a scrap speedo!)

Have to say I'm well pleased with the result. I had been in touch with a rev counter restorer who wanted £250 to replace the glass and 'make' new bezels. This was more the result I hoped for!

So anyone out there with a cracked P8 tacho - they are repairable!

• Like Like x 5
  10. Nice work!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Excellent work,food for thought for all of us with P8's:upyeah:,and by the way are you a skin surgeon;) steady hands and all that:thinkingface:

12. I broke the glass on my 916 rev counter a few years back. I managed to remove the glass and bezel with a bit of prying and replace with the same parts from a broken rev counter by super glue-ing back on.

13. I love a story with a happy ending!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. He was happy :thinkingface:

15. Stories are OK. Massage is better!

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. From the Swedish prime minister?

Nice work OP

17. Nah, the New Zealand one
    Jacinda-Arden.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Glad you liked it - I was happy - not that happy! Tho I do like a happy ending! :p

• Like Like x 1
  19. What is a P8 Rev counter? What’s different about it? Curious as I have no clue.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information