1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati/raptor 1000

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by sharksqb16, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Having had a Cagiva 1000 engine, basically Suzuki Tl1000s, bought for very little money, I have now bought a ducati ST2 frame, again cheap along with an Aprilia RSV swingarm. What i would like to do is make the frame and engine to fit together. From the photo,s you can see that cross brace tubing is in the way and would need cutting and fitting at the top, as the raptor frame is, which are like rocking horse poo and quite heavy apparently but i prefer the ducati style frame. Having built Moto Martins and Harris bike's in the past, etc which are kit bike's really. I don,t want to start cutting the frame up just find out it not going to work and I have a pile of scrape left. There will be brackets to make to fit the swingarm and other stuff along the way. Not be able to weld and no engineer, some comments input would be helpful. I would like to think it could be done. Is there any one with type of skill set and knowledge living in the south that wouldn't mind coming to mine having a look giving option what can & can't be done or is it a waste of time. I'm in W Sussex. The photo,s are just a mock up and just get my head around it. Thanks for looking.

P6090001.JPG

P6090002.JPG

P6090004.JPG

P6090005.JPG

P6090006.JPG

P6090003.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  2. #2 noobie, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  3. Thanks for these interesting, a lot of negative replies, shame he didn't do more photo's,

4. I think if you use google you might find some but these conversions happened many years ago and many of the links/pictures when you click on them, show to no longer be valid. It is an awfull lot of work but, if you have the skills and are that way inclined personally why not?

Me I would start with rhencullen. It seems they are no longer but companies house might have an address of the owner so a letter or chase up those links I gave and see if any of those people are still members?

5. Again thanks for the info. Rhencullen as you say are no more, i will do some searching and give it go on the links.
    I did notice on link that with the 748 where the engine mount was at the forward frame mount not as i have it, which is a starting point, still think i will have to cut cross tube. Came a cross this while searching Ducati st & Cagiva Raptors. Not sure if this was a prototype bike or if it was ever made, frame wise to me looks a bit like Bimota SB8. To me it's beauty on wheels. If i had the money I get someone to make the chassis for me. cagiva.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. Can anybody give me the measurements for length of an ST2 rear shock and for a RSV 1000 rear shock as with projects you got to start some where, any info or help thank you

7. ST4 frame and Aprilia RSV rear end very crude fitting just getting ideas of setting it up got set of forks st4/916 and a multistrada front wheel coming, then can get started on making brackets for engine and frame.

P7050002.JPG

P7050001.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  8. You're determined to make the bugger work, good for you. I wonder as you project is quite hefty whether you are going to re-use the st forks or go for different set?

9. What's the body work concept going to be - the aesthetics could make or break an interesting build - looks v.interesting so far :):upyeah:

10. Not really thought about it yet, the forks could be re worked and tuned, but I wouldn't of thought the engine is heavier than the st4 which is basically a 916 I don't no. I did see a nice set of BMW SR for little money. If you have any thoughts or advice please feel free and tell me, will be appreciated.

11. I'm going to try and get it as near as possible to the Cagiva concept bike in the photo in this thread (thats if it is a concept). Probably have to play around with different tanks and seat units. Exige what happening with your KR French endurance project, its a work of art and far more interesting project than what i'm doing, one of the best projects I've seen to date:upyeah:

12. Quick question, the tubing on ST frame is around 25/26mm and 20/22mm OD what gauge or thickness it is, as I am going to be buying some tubing, not sure what i'm looking for or where the best place to get tubing for frame, any info thanks.

#12 sharksqb16, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  13. That will be nice!
    News on my project soon, things will again start moving slowly :)

14. Go and talk to Tom at The Foundry. Just outside Chichester. He was very helpful and made me a commplete rear subframe for the multi frame that i angle ground off when i was making my cafe racer.

#14 Big Nige, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2017
  15. I have sent him details about project a while back and he said it's not something he could do, now weather that's he not interested or he is to busy, I suspect the later, never phoned to even talk about it. Seen some of his stuff dose some nice work.
    His ex partner came round last Wednesday, live's in the same town as me, did say that Tom prefer's to do whole project's, have total control.
    The bloke had some good idea's and some over the top, then quoted what he would charge. Wouldn't mind if he did as a full time job, just another bloke in a shed and was using my shed. I'll find the right people in the end

16. After first mock up, thought i would check it all out. Started with cardboard template then made couple of wooden one's got castor at the correct angle, levelled frame up. Found original set up was an inch out, give myself a good talking to and a smack on the wrist. Next step work on the swing arm pivot point and brackets. Prefer to use Aprilia one but have got a 999 one coming. Seen this type used on some duke cafe racers that I liked the look of. Have found a lot of Aprilia stuff works with Ducati, probably cos there both Italian. ie: rear axle same size, swinging arm spindle same and the arms are same width etc.

P7090001.JPG

P7090002.JPG

P7090003.JPG

P7090004.JPG

P7090005.JPG

17. Oh if any one got an old rotten tl/cagiva exhaust pipe kicking around that i could use as pattern or cheap to buy:p once I get it on its wheels. Thanks

18. Playing around with more wood to get swing arm pivot right, pretty sure i'm there. Had a sheet of 5 mm stainless given to me for use as engine brackets on the back end of engine to frame. Any of the engineers on this forum could tell me if this is thick enough & strong enough, or would a thicker plate be better and what thickness advice please. As you can see from photo would I be better off welding a piece of tube to the frame with lugs to take rear engine mount's or use it as it is using bolt with the spacers in the mock up.

P7160003.JPG

19. Been playing a round with ply to get swing arm pivot point right. I have been given a sheet of 5 mm stainless steel, would this be thick enough & strong enough to make my rear engine mount's or should i be looking at thicker, advise please. Would I be better off welding a tube where bolt runs through frame and welding lugs on it to take rear engine mount's or use the bolt as ducati do but with proper made spacer's, again advise from the engineers on this forum please.

P7160003.JPG

P7160001.JPG

20. Got swing arm fitted with some brackets off 1098 frame.Got my nipper to spot weld them up so I could now get off the hop up on to the ground, check out how it all sit's & a line's up. Found that the wheel's are 14mm out of line, just have to brake spot welds and redo. Then can get on with making support brackets for swing arm and get rear shock support sorted. Engine bracket's are not finished yet for the eagle eyed critics and I am not 100% sure if like steel plates look bulky might try & design a tube type sub-frame instead. P8190016.JPG P8190017.JPG P8200018.JPG

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information