1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati Sf848 Hid Headlight Bulb Kit

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by aviating cud, Nov 22, 2017.

1. I've recently purchased a new SF848 after having had a second hand one previously so I've gone about improving it. One improvement I was keen to do was upgrading the headlight lighting so I purchased a H4 HID kit, which I fitted but could only get the dip to work and no high beam. Tried swapping the connectors for the HID kit to the original buld connector and this gave me high beam only. Figured out that the switching for low/high beam is negative so the bulb has a single constant live and switches the earth for the 2 beams. Has anyone else come across this before? Did you manage a work around? Should I try an LED bulb which is supoosed to be plug and play or will I have the same issue due to the - switching?

2. Be careful about fitting a HID bulb as they run extremely hot, and hotter than a normal H7 bulb.
    Mine has burned the plastic light lense on the inside and turned it yellowish.
    Mind you this has occurred in over 2 years

3. The wiring diagram shows a common earth and each beam getting +ve supply from the dash, although it could be wrong. LEDs are polarity sensitive so you would get the same problem.

4. Yeah, checked the WD but the switch to the bulb has definitley only got a single + and switching is -. Thought that would be the case with the LED option too.
    Any work arounds?

5. You could wire the bulb socket with a -ve earth and use a relay to do the switching using the dash H/L output but this would isolate the dash from the load and might throw up a CANBUS error if the SF gives headlight failure warnings.

6. Yeah, worried about the CANBUS potential errors when messing with the wiring. I'm probably just going to go down the road of an upgraded halogen bulb.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information