1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati St2 Conversion Build - Tribute To Duck944

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Duke600, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Just thought I would share some pictures of the build I am doing, converting my late father's ST2 into something I hope will be a trackday toy and a B road fun machine.

It was something we often spoke about, but never got around to doing and as some of you who knew my dad, Mark, you'd know how he loved to tinker with bikes and adored Ducati's.

So, this is my build for me to enjoy, in memory of him!

It'll be a slow one, due to having way to many interests and other bikes, but should be interesting!

IMG_1538.JPEG

IMG_1540.JPEG

• Like Like x 3
  2. So, I obtained a set of 848 farings and set about my work. I had considered Triumph or similar, but that would be sacrilege!

IMG_2230.JPEG

Then, the hardest move of all - a frame chop.. no going back now. GULP!

IMG_3129.JPEG

With the loss of the ST2 front sub frame, came a need to create a bracket for the clocks, so I mocked up a bracket from an old road sign (Aluminium) I had in the garage, with a view to making something more proper along the way.

IMG_3414.jpeg

With the frame chop, comes the need to make somewhere for the electrical gubbins to go, so, some ally plate will be made to create an under seat place for the relays etc to be located.
    IMG_3361.jpeg

#2 Duke600, Jun 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  3. ... But, the chop was with a rather nice shaped tail piece. I have always loved the look of an Aprillia RS250 rear end, and this was akin to that, but in keeping with the size and other lines of the bike :)

IMG_3133.JPEG

IMG_3140.JPEG

• Like Like x 1
  4. I painted the seat unit black, but that looked nasty... So, I decided to try my hand at Carbon Vinyl wrap next, it came out reasonably well I felt!

IMG_3339.JPEG

IMG_3446.JPEG

5. First trial run - standard pipes will make way for something smaller and tidier, when time allows to make up some link pipes! - the cut out on the fairing is to be tidied at this point, but didn't want to cut too much away as my new pipes probably wont come out like that...

Ignore the bodged enduro numberplate holder, that has already gone- I just threw it on to have a ride!
    2D63902D-05FE-40D2-98B4-B8D1BBEF8784.jpg

D46D80B3-A2CD-4D0C-A021-E7A4FE16B560.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. The current look - it is a road going live project. decided to go Red, as a nod to my dad's favourite bike, the 750ss we built and in keeping with Ducati Corse colours, the silver tank will remain as a nod to the original bike - need to paint the tail piece.

Note: this is a home spray job for the time being, pending a proper paint job when the job is complete!

So, that's where I am at. exhausts hopefully this weekend and some more 'sporty' tyres to go on, along with more modern discs, which save quite a bit of weight also :)

IMG_4725.JPEG

• Like Like x 4
  7. I kinda like that

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cheers! Not sure you remember Dad and I from Ducatisti days? You were formerly Ducbird, right?

9. I still am Ducbird :)
    I think we might have met at one of the SS meets or DD racing

10. Obviously so :blush:.

We met many a time at the meets! Back in the day with Carbon749 (Andy?) , Arquebus (Al) , Pete and Lissa etc.

Not been on the forums for years, I’ve been doing more cycling and dirt biking than Ducati’ing.... a poor show on my part!!!

• Agree Agree x 1

11. Those were the days :) I’m guessing I was riding with Zimbo/gilps

Good to see you back

Do Not Sell My Personal Information