1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati V-single

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Old rider, May 23, 2017.

1. Had a great trip over to West Bay on the 999 today. The fuel light came on around Lyme Regis, so I filled up with Morrisons' best 95 in Bridport. Not long after, the EOBD light came on and it dropped onto one cylinder. Then the other one chimed back in and it was fine for a while. Eventually it dropped onto one and stayed like that until I managed to limp home to Exeter.
    I bet it's that front coil I thought and sure enough the error code is 10.2 for a front coil short to earth.

The question is, is there any point in playing with it or is it definitely buggered? It hasn't got wet recently, apart from some light rain on the way back from the MOT, so I don't think water is the problem.

OR

2. Old Rider, did you check the resistance already? They still go remarkably well for an out of balance single!

3. Hi Denzil, Have removed the coil and found the lead to it was pinched between the v piece and the water inlet/outlet. Having disconnected and removed the coil, the same error is showing.
    Does that mean the lead is still short circuiting or is it just the code hasn't cleared? Haven't checked the resistance as yet. Could you please tell me exactly what I'm looking for, as though I'm five - electrickery is not my strongest suit... ;)

4. ps The coil says
    38040082A
    BERU German

Do we know if that's the newer or older type??

5. Resistance between outer pins is zero
    between right and centre is 2.26
    left and centre 1.7
    on 20M setting
    Resistance climbs slowly before stabilising, no idea why it would do that - do you know?

6. Ok, I can see that according to your fairly recent post, @Denzil the Ducati , Resistance between 1 and 15 should be between 0.6 and 0.7. I'm getting zero, so looks like new coil required...

:(

7. I've picked up 2 coils off eBay in the last few weeks as spares. Not tried either yet. If you need I'll post 1 down and you can give it a try.

CR

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sounds good. Let's just see if Andy's coils happen to be the right ones first. Have you checked the resistance between the outer two pins? Should be between 0.6 and 0.7 according to Denzil.

Thanks a mil...

OR

9. Nope as I didn't know you could/should and my bastard mate has had my multimeter for about a year now.

10. Old Rider, resistance spec is 0.65ohms +/-0.05 "between pins 1 and 15" (the two outer pins). You need to use the lowest resistance range you can which is usually 200 ohms. Check the two metre probes are zeroing by touching them together, you may find the resistance never drops below a certain value if so deduct that from the resistance measured to get an approx. measurement. If in doubt it is best to swap the coils to see if the problem moves with the coil.

11. Thanks, I'm reading 0.9 on the 200 setting. The probes read 0.3 held together

#11 Old rider, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
  12. BTW if the coil is working properly (when you replace it or reinstall it) the EOBD and error code will disappear but it may take a few seconds of running the engine, mine started up on one cylinder and ran a few seconds on one cylinder before the new coil was recognised before the injection/sparking sequence was restarted on both cylinders by the ecu). I also have two spares bought from here they are 38010141A (3rd generation from 04/05) and your part number I suspect is the second generation. 380.1.014.3A is the current and fifth generation part and 380.1.014.2A is the fourth, they are all supposed to be fully interchangeable. That reading would suggest to me it is ok

The spec 0.65 is quoted out of the factory repair manual

#12 Denzil the Ducati, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Thanks for that, Denzil. I'm reading 0.9 on the 200 setting. The probes read 0.3 held together.

14. Yes, 0.3 off 0.9 would suggest it may be ok.
    Not sure if that's good thing or not...

Need to take a good look at the lead to the connector then

15. OR if you were clamping the cables against a metallic part with the fairing it is most likely an error to earth 10.2 fault would result. Having removed the cables from the clamp have you tried putting it back together and trying to run it again?

16. If you want mine posted just PM me.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. I did, that was my first thought but without the clamping bolt in place. It still ran on one cylinder like that. I'm not sure if the clamping bolt provides an earth or not. It runs through a brass ferrule moulded into the plastic, so it's not obviously an earth but it could be.

18. Thanks, you're a star :)

Looks like mine might actually be within spec though.

19. Is there any possibility that the fuel light and the fuel being low there's been dirt sucked into the fuel system and you have a blockage? Or just a full of crap fuel with water in it?

20. It did seem a coincidence that I'd just filled up with Morrison's fuel at only 11 quid something to brim it but the error code of 10.2 points directly at the front coil shorting to earth

Do Not Sell My Personal Information