1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati Word Premiere

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Kenneth Lundgren, Sep 30, 2021.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  1. I never understood why the ST3 didn’t sell in bigger numbers. I rode mine for eight years and really enjoyed it. For some reason Bike magazine slated it with one of it’s journalists describing the engine as “an old fashioned air cooled engine.” How could anybody road test a bike without knowing it was water cooled? The three valve ST3 engine is good in my opinion.

2. IMO, Ducati either didn't see the perception that the ST3 was a retrograde step after the ST4S or just dismissed it. Mud sticks and after 10 years together, I went from my much loved ST4S to a 1200 Multistrada. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  3. I went from an ST2 to an ST4S, to another ST4S, and then a !200 Multistrada GT via an FJR1300A. Unfortunately the Multistrada had a number of faults, and eventually it was replaced by a K1300S. However, I would have been quite content to have stayed with an ST4S had Ducati continued to supply them, but alas it was not to be and sadly probably not in the foreseeable future.
    Tom.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yeah similar story here.
    Had an ST4S for 6 years and loved it. My mates still talk about its exhaust sound :)
    The ST3 was bought out as they couldnt get the 916 and 996 engines in the ST4 and ST4S through the emissions tests.
    I test rode one but was underwhelmed with its power compared to the 4S.
    I test rode the first gen multi too, but was underwhelmed with it as well.

Then they announced the multi 1200 in 2009, we went to milan show to see it and that was that.
    I've had 4 of them now (still got a 2012 ohlins S, plus a nearly new 1260 enduro).

Funnily enough I bought another low miles ST4S earlier this year just for fun. Its not a patch performance wise on the 1200 or 1260, but it rides so well.
    Now if only they would put the 1200, 1260, or even the 950 engine in an ST style bike, so it was a proper sports tourer, it would be a cracker.

I know there is the supersport, but its no good for 2 up touring with luggage imo, like the ST was.

Its funny how they wont give us what we really want, just what they think we want :yum

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Similar story to the total ruination of the British motor industry ( both cars and bikes )

The main difference being that in the British case they weren't even giving us what
    they thought we wanted .... only what they wanted to make .

PS - still loving my ST4 ..... after 20 years and 120,000 km

• Like Like x 1
  6. About British motor industry, I had a Rover 75 in BRG and cream leather from 2003 to 2019. Lovely car but become unreliable the last years, the divorce took four years. Still not found something like it and will never do. They will never build cars like that again, except Rolls-Royce.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information