1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducatisti.co.uk = Ducati Coventry!!??

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Firebladeboy, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Anyone else notice that Ducati Coventry snapped up the ducatisti.co.uk domain name? It seems that while "Dan" couldn't respond multiple offers of help with the site he COULD respond to a cash offer for the domain. Or maybe I'm being too cynical! :frown:

2. Cynical - yes, justified comment - Definitely
    TBF, I think JHP will do the domain justice, top bunch of chaps......

3. I agree with srad on this if Dan can't commit to the site for what ever reasons then why not get something for all the effort he put in to the site? If JHP offered him cash for the site then good luck to him. I am sure JHP will do a top job just as they do with their workshop...and no am not a JHP employee just a happy JHP customer

• Like Like x 3
  4. Hey, listen, Dan did a lot of work I'm sure, running Ducatisti as long as he did. Do I mind him getting some reward for that by selling the domain? No, of course not. The thing that p1ssed me off a little was the stonewall at the end. Not a comment or any kind of response to all the offers of help I know were made. Not even a thank you for the offer. It would have been a nice gesture to make all that valuable forum data, accumulated over the years, available to another forum, e.g. This one. It's just a question of handing over the backup tapes..no effort at all...but no, nothing, stony silence followed by they sale of the domain. Left a bit of a bad taste is all.....

• Like Like x 5
  5. Agreed !

6. Sold down the river I'm afraid, every last contributor to the site, as the data was the posters info not Dan's, ok he registered and paid for the domain name so is entitled to sell it, but hey, a word of warning to retrieve some data or a chance to get contact details as a minimum would of been the gentleman's way of conducting yourself.

A forum is not worth the name without the members who contribute! I hope you enjoy the cash you made from the reputation created by the members.

Anth

• Like Like x 3
  7. Dan knows what he did and he is either comfotable with it or he isn't , theres nothing we can do that will change it.

Personally, i really liked ducatisti when it was live and was unhappy when it fell over but this is home now. I'm Glad Coventry are here, as we know that the Factory were/are aware of Ducatisti. I hope they come to regard this site in the same way.

8. Im still waiting for Dan to send me some word documents of a couple of tech threads I wrote and my diaries of of the IFQ Road Trips....which he promised me faithfully he would send me - if he has sold the website, then I doubt I will ever see them now... :eek:(.......

9. As part of the Admin team I have to agree with this..... All the Admin put a lot of effort in to running the site, freely without any reward - and we were as much in the dark as anyone else.

• Like Like x 2
  10. what a lot of people don't know about the closing of Ducatisti, was that even those closest to Dan - the people who helped him run the site - were kept in the dark. They had as much notice as you and I that the site was being closed and were treated very badly for their years of work. What is very distressing tho is the loss of all the information that was on the site. Has anyone got their photo albums back for example?

I met Dan and his then fiancé down in Torquay. My view of him then isn't the same as it is now. I'm just glad that I didn't contribute financially to the site in the last year.

• Like Like x 2
  11. There you go - it looks like Gav beat me to it :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  12. :-( I have just remembered reading this my first trip to ypres is on ducatisti it would be nice if we could access some of our memories.

13. My view of Dan changed dramatically when I put a lot of effort (for nowt) into producing some decals designs and Carbon749 arranged the printing and distribution/sales all for the benefit of Dan, knowing how much it costs to keep a forum/website up and running.........

.......his reaction, in my opinion, was objectionable....

AL.

14. Dan isn't a close mate of mine - I've only seen him once in over a year when I bumped into him at Gordano services by accident ... but I did do a few ride-outs with him over the years and he did give me a lift in his race van a few times during my DD days. From what I know of the guy I'd say don't write it all off yet. I'd like to think he'll do the right thing one way or another - maybe all the info will be available through Ducati Coventry? Or maybe I'm just being naive.

15. So all the information from that forum now belongs to some place in Coventry.

16. yes, I think there would be some serious legal complications if the forum contents were sold to JHP along with the domain name.

Legally, JHP and Dan could be on the hook if the contents were misused. Although, there's a thread here stating that Ducatisti members are receiving spam. My account there goes to an old work address, so I wouldn't know.

17. I haven't been getting any more spam than usual...
    I still don't know why that site closed. But this site will do for me....

18. A lot of people put time, effort and (in some cases) money into Ducatisti. Over the years, the accumulation of technical information and knowledge was immense. I was appalled at the (in my opinion spineless) way the whole thing was closed with the loss of such a mine of knowledge.
    The excellent stickers that Arquebus and Carbon749 did, have easily outlasted the site, but despite still looking good, had to go.
    There, that's gone some way towards getting it off my chest.

• Like Like x 1
  19. I'm surprised that JHP, with their good reputation, have taken on Ducatisti.co.uk, with it's now very poor reputation?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information