1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvt Shock Bearing

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by vandelli, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Hello All,

at 96000 km, my DVT S starts showing the signs of age. In particular now I am dealing with the lower shock mount. The bearing is shot and, as mentioned in other threads, Ducati does not provide the replacement parts.

I was wondering if anyone here had to replace the bearing already and managed to source alternative spare parts. These are for a 2017 DVT S, hence Sachs Skyhook shock.

Thanks. Bonne route

2. Noticed someone on eBay doing a complete service service for the sach shock for £170.

3. What year is it & can you share a few images?

4. It will just be a spherical bearing that may or may not be held in by a circlip or similar. Here is one I changed recently on a MV Agusta. It's a standard SKF bearing that had some top hat bushes pressed in and was held with circlips in the body/top eye.
    Ohlins for example don't bother with circlips. They are just pressed in. 1633421580698271397879026146820.jpg
    11 quid for a replacement from your friendly bearing place.

5. Thanks a lot for sharing this. Indeed, I saw there are hat bushes, I had no idea what is behind them. I should try to push them out. I suppose you used some sort of chisel?
    In your experience, are there rubber seals between the bushes and the bearing?

Thanks. This could be an interesting option too. So far I could not find a similar service on this side of the channel.

This is a 2017 DVT S. Sadly I did not take photos last night.

6. Chisel? Wash your mouth out ;). If you have some soft jaws in a vise or some plain, non-serated steel ones clamp the top hat lightly and work them out by rotating slightly left and right whilst pulling gently upwards. You could also try and lift them with a pair of flat bladed screwdrivers, one each side of the bush. They usually aren't in very tight. Underneath is nothing or a thin foam washer at best to keep some of the dirt out. They can be reused or discarded. I think they are more likely to keep dirt in than out. More often than not there isn't anything. If they used circlips without eyes it can be a bit tricky getting them out but not impossible. A couple of the right size sockets and a vise is usually all that's needed to push the bearings out. If they are very tight heat them up a bit. I personally use a bit of copperslip on the outside of the new bearings when I push them in. Again a socket and a vise is all you need. I used to build and rebuild dampers for a living. It's a job of minutes once you have done it and know what's what.

7. Thanks so much for the detailed explanation. I appreciate it!
    I better get working on it ... hiding away my chisels first :joy:

8. Hey Petsmisth, just to thank you again for the useful and precise input. Thanks for your directions it was a breeze to take out the bearing.
    For future reference, the DVT shock has circlips with eyes, so it is pretty straightforward to get them.

Here is the bugger, definitively busted!
    20211204_151144.jpg

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information