1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Dying At Idle

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Tans826, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Heh all

My 1995 Ducati 748 is misbehaving again. At idle for no reason she cuts out, doesn’t slowly die she just cuts out. No problem whilst riding just at idle after starting her up. Before this problem began sometimes she would take a while to come alive when the key was turned. It would be like the battery wasn’t connected and then all of a sudden the electrics would kick in. I assumed it was an ignition relay that was sticking and as it never really caused a problem have just left it. Could the two problems be linked?

Thanks in advance
    Dave

2. Been serviced recently? start with the basics all set correctly, including TPS, throttle balance & CO.

3. Yup serviced recently, seems to me like an electrical problem as it literally just spontaneously instantly dies. Was even thinking bad earth somewhere

4. They do sound as though someone has switched the ignition off at tick over speed when they stop because of the high compression I presume, I had mine out this morning and to warm it up I left it with the fast idle button pressed in, when I released it it ticked over slowly and then stopped dead, it does it regularly, once out on a ride and coming to a standstill I can manage it and don't have any problems.
    As dukedesmo says tps could be your problem.
    Steve

5. Ok that makes sense then, how easy is the TPS to set?
    Where’s the fast idle button too? Never found that!!!

6. Fast idle is a small button under the throttle, too much play in the cable and it won't work.
    Steve

7. What rpm does it idle at when it is running?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information