1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Dymag Carbon Wheels... An Opinion.

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by yellowducmaniac, Mar 18, 2017.

1. @Sev EPIC post, very interesting and informative :upyeah: :)

2. @Sev any idea what the bladders you used weigh?

(and if you can be arsed - how you seal the fuel pump and filler neck to it, if that's how it connects?)

3. Genuinely insightful @Sev and possibly the most interesting post I've read here, thank you!

I'm guessing that bladder is collapsible to a certain extent to fit it? Or does it require the tank to be built around it?

Yeah those Beater's are something else eh? I've been thinking of one for some time now and even moreso since @johnnie58 ordered one a couple of years ago for his 999R. FWIW my F9 build has an ETI cell.

Excellent info @Sev and thank you for taking the time to put that post together :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Anybody can make a carbon tank? where are the standards? I have seen some frightening ones; matching strand, good gel coat, light as a feather? but for the reasons you say scary
    Ducati Corse have raced many carbon/kevlar tanks and they are not light, I think they are heavy because the dont want immolated heroes

I only made the comment under a compulsion to "Duty of Care" I dont want people hurt because members nhere think light as a feather tanks, are the ones to buy because there is a greater chance f you BBQing yourself
    thanks for your reasoned comment

#44 breakout998, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. The chemical bonded bladders are used for two purposes;
    1) repair rusting leaking steel tank
    2) reduced the migration of fuel into the fibre/resin matrix of a carbon tank by sealing the structure, and protecting the tank.

A separate bladder not subject to shear force, because not bonded to the internal tank surfaces would give the greatest safety when the tank shell is deformed or fractures in an accident.

The problem is if a thin tank brittle fractures and the fracture edges move against each other, (egg shell failure) you are then using the bladder as structure and this is not likely to work,
    up to every individual?

#45 breakout998, Nov 1, 2017
  6. All excellent and useful info @Sev, thank you again :upyeah:

7. Stick to reasoned argument, dont attack me personally; demolish my argument, show me to be a fat stupid old,
    bastard dont call me one

8. What an interesting post and a beautiful looking fabricated tank Sev ,and not that much more expensive than the troublesome porous Kamna CF tank i had on my bike...if I had the choice again I know which one I would go for.

#48 yellowducmaniac, Nov 1, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Yes you are right there are, and have been, some terrible aftermarket tanks - even from back in the day when people were making fibreglass tanks in their kitchens etc, but I think it's not quite right to be telling people that they effectively risk burning to death in a motorcycle crash if they have a decent carbon/composite tank - as it's simply not true. As I mentioned earlier, I run a composite tank - and have crashed so many times in the last year that it's not funny anymore - but I'm still using the same tank, it's never leaked once in all those crashes let alone turned me and the bike into a fireball. So yes, there are some badly made/designed tanks but there are also some very well made tanks AND very light too :upyeah:

Also, I don't know if it's a language thing or what but try and chill a little, many of us on here (and other forums) make fun and take the piss out of each other all the time, try not to take it too personally and become insulted - a lot of the time people are just having a laugh and messing around. Better to respond with a funny comment instead of a barrage of insults etc if you feel offended, no?

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Agreed what you say, not criticizing good tanks, but only pointed out, 998 ducati tanks weren't made to be light as a feather, were made to be crash resistant; your tanks probably also came through the crashes unmarked and mostly do, but when impacted the failure will more resemble a broken helmet with the characteristics more of a brittle failure; (broken eggshell) rather than dented like a steel tank, thats why as is pointed to; a bladder or liner would make the light as a feather CARBON tank safer post crash. I will weigh a couple of tanks with a spring gauge carbon and steel Ducati, I guess they would be close in weight, i am interested I put a couple of opinions up, my opinions; and personal comment was directed my way?
    I havent (made sure not to) attacked anybody I am interested in the knowledge, not personalities.
    If I am wrong, I will accept that, if I am right I will stick to my opinions but have given an undertaking not to ever criticize any body here, even if they like to blow smoke out their ass, personally, but will demonstrate if possible the error of their knowledge or reasoning.
    I am here for Ducatis and to show respect to those that allow my opinions, as anybodies elses opinions
    I have said all the guys here are great, like you all calm down, and i still think 5 spokes are nicer on a 998,999 than frilly diecast Pangalie wheels would be, "my opinion" will be used on my posts from now on
    If the mob bans me here, imagine the laughs you going to miss out on?
    Get upset on this contention helmets are designed to fail so the energy expended in the destruction of the shell is removed from the impact energy and reduces the energy efficiency of the impact which reduces the head bounce restitution, this reduces peak timeXacceleration of the head, which reduces blood in the eyes; which is a sign of blood inertia tearing blood vessels under conditions of high head acceleration for double the period?
    Helmets are designed to fail,
    Featherlight fuel tanks are designed to fail in an unfortunate way, but rarely get hit; lucky; frame/axle/fairing sliders usually do the work
    any way got to go and stir somebody on another site, last comment
    Reminds me when i put a newspaper in the right hand fairing of my F1, NOTICED MY R/H leg (stop shouting) getting warm and other motorists pointing and flashing their lights at me.
    Quickly pulled over and put the bike on its side to stop the flames engulfing the gas tank, as the RHS fairing was now burning, then i tried kicking the fairing mounts off to get the burning fairing panel away from the gas tank, tank started to burn, some Irish guys pulled up jumped out of a car with cans of Fosters, shook them and put my F1 bonfire out, I painted the fairing inside, and stopped putting newspapers in the fairing
    Want to use feather weight carbon tanks carry 4 cans of fosters in ice, works every time

#50 breakout998, Nov 1, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. send your address I gotta find that feather light carbon tank for you,. send you instruction on where to fit it, but keep the fosters and prawns for my Chinese mates. (dont want you wasting the beer on putting fires out?) you are a nice intelligent guy, smart notice you like dresses and picking on old ladies children and me, I really think you are great? can I help you? in any way that doesnt involve your rear passage
    I want to be your friend? please? can I?
    now this is a funny post? want some likes for me and my new friend absolutely no offense intended or taken.

• Like Like x 1
  12. LOL.......

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Got to love the Irish!

14. you not my lost brother are you? Wayne when did you get out?
    Would have been f---ed if they didnt like beer? imagine the stink if they pissed on it?

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. I am in the drilling business, (mining)
    My company motto is, "Kick Arse or f' off" had it on all the stubbie holders; untill PC became mandatory, had to take them back, still got a few

• Funny Funny x 2

16. I never thought I would ,it Just goes to show, you never know what's round the corner...;) at least i'm glad its gone to a fellow forum member....Enjoy!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information