1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT Dyno Comparison - Standard V Termi Exhaust

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by tobers, Oct 6, 2015.

1. [​IMG]Ducati Multistrada by Tobers, on Flickr

2015 DVT, 3500 miles on the clock. Full Termignoni system with upmap fitted. Before and after dyno runs done, albeit on different days. Bike set to Sport mode with traction control and wheelie control both set to off. ABS on 2 if it makes any difference.

The dyno runs were done at Steve Jordan Motorcycles in Surrey, UK .

Run 1 - base run with standard exhaust. Max power 137.25 bhp @ 9057, max torque 89.07 ft/lb.
    Run 2 - full Termi, baffle in. Max power 133.69 bhp @ 9762, max torque 86.64 ft/lb
    Run 3 - full Termi, baffle out. Max power 137.79 bhp @ 9879, max torque 85.35 ft/ln

Here's the comparison graph. View the original here.
    [​IMG]Ducati Multistrada dyno run comparison by Tobers, on Flickr

Note that run 1 was on Friday with much warmer and less humid air temp. Run 2 today was damp and cooler. Dyno experts will work out if that makes a difference, but Steve said that the dyno compensates - the compensation factors are on the plot as are the temperatures and humidity measures.

To help you, I digitised the paper charts (time consuming!) using the excellent Plot Digitiser, and you can download the Excel file I created from here. It has all three runs digitised so you can produce clearer graphs, like these:

Power (high res here) orange = standard, blue = Termi + baffle, green = Termi no baffle
    [​IMG]Ducati Multistrada DVT BHP comparison by Tobers, on Flickr

Torque (high res here) orange = standard, blue = Termi + baffle, green = Termi no baffle
    [​IMG]Ducati Multistrada DVT Torque comparison by Tobers, on Flickr

Now, I have never had a bike dyno'd before so this is all a bit new to me.

My "arse dyno", running with the baffle in (in the exhaust, not my arse!) tells me that the bike is much more responsive, and accelerates much faster at 5000rpm or so. It feels faster and torquier, with the torque ramp at 5,500 rpm being less pronounced, and stronger low down. In fact, my bike feels fantastic and ludicrously fast. It's not too loud with the baffle in, and I haven't run it in public with the baffle out yet. I had an excellent run with a pal on his S1000XR on Saturday down to the coast and the Multistrada was just amazing, giving nothing away to the Parts Bin Panzer.

The dyno results are, needless to say, "interesting". Far from gaining the hoped-for 10 or so bhp and ft/lb from a £1700 state of the art titanium exhaust system with special performance upmap, I've actually lost peak power and torque. WFT??? The numbers don't reflect how the bike feels, and it certainly doesn't feel like it's lost a load of torque at the bottom of the rev range.

Those more experienced in these things, please pile in with your opinions. Unfortunately I could only do the before and after on different days with very different weather, and the dyno operator was different. Same dyno though.

Other info - I fitted the exhaust myself. Snells printed out the instructions for me which was useful as it doesn't come with any. I also referred to this excellent thread with lots of pics from MultiFrank. Fitting was moderately easy, needing the front header to be removed to slie the cat off backwards. The cat weighs A TON! I had two issues with the fitting - getting the 2 pipes aligned to fit into the Y piece is a PAIN IN THE ARSE, needing lots of wiggling, so obviously leave everything loose until that's done and the end can is aligned. Secondly, the rear header clamp seized on me and I snapped the bolt in half, and I replaced it with a jubilee clip for now.

After fitting I went down to Snells who did the upmap installation for me. Riding back it was immediately obvious that the bike was more zappy and perky.

Looks-wise, I really like it. I need to lose that footpeg hanger and get a bespoke simple hanger made up which will be much more elegant.

Lastly, white stripes done by Boss Dog in Dorking. Nice!

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. On the face of it that's pretty bad isn't it, I appreciate the seat of the pants feel and the additional noise go towards the good feeling of the purchase, but the 'up map' hasn't seem to have done a Damn thing.

I'd really like to hear from a proper tuner like cjs when they get hold of a dvt, I suspect that with an air filter and decat exhaust (any) they'll be able to squeeze more out than what the termi upmap has.

I've never been a fan of the 'termi sell' and this upmap thing, yes you can run a fairly generic map and get some gains, but in most instances you're better buying an alternative exhaust system and using the difference in cost to have a bespoke map made.

What do Ducati officially claim as the power increase by using their branded Termi option?

If they claim anything like a 10bhp increase I'd be pointing them to this thread and asking them to pay for the bike to be tuned correctly.

I'm not meaning to be condescending to you or your purchase by the way, it just gets on my nerves when manufacturers add their tax to catalogue upgrades that simply fall short of the hype.

3. I also have had the Termi fitted, and I am and I know not the only person who feels there is a defiant improvement of power at the bottom end upwards, and quite noticeable. So I would be interested as well as to the outcome.

4. That is terrible. Dump the cat and open the can and the old multi was very close to 150, apparently.

5. It definitely was, mine was over 150bhp at the wheel with a Mivv decat and suono exhaust, total cost of that was circa £550 + remap at £400 ish.

6. What woudl be really interesting would be a bike done at CJS then stuck on Steve Jordans dyno

7. Steve did say that a Power Commander would sort things out. It's odd isn't it - the seat of the pants feel is definitely much improved, so the numbers from the dyno were a real surprise, so much so that I don't really believe them. It's a shame I couldn't do the base run, then fit the system and re-run, all on the same day with the same operator & same weather (if that makes a difference).

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I'm also trying to work out if I'm upset with the spend on the system. On the basis of the numbers, then yes. On the basis of the responsiveness and performance on the bike on the road, then no. Anyhow, titanium is niiiice.

9. I was sooo close to buying the Termi. Not sure I will now, but your bike looks nice with the stripes.
    Thanksfor posting the info.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. :upyeah:

#10 Hyperextended, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2016
  11. Bike looks really nice :upyeah:.

12. Hmm I recently bought an 821 monster, and tbh it is chalk and cheese with my DVT at the bottom end, I know my monster is not run in yet but there is no way in hell my monster would even get close to my DVT up to treble figures, assuming you are talking an 821 monster.

I am seriously doubting the accuracy of the actual dyno test, I am very tempted to contact HM racing to have mine just Dyno'ed out of curiosity, but I am not the least bit disappointed at the improvement in fitting the exhaust.

13. Go for it prof, doesnt cost much for a single power run

14. Yes, likewise. It just doesn't feel like it looks. Please get yours done and post up.

15. ;)

#15 Hyperextended, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2016
  16. That is extremely disappointing, I've got the money for a Termi burning a hole in my pocket but not sure I want to spend that sort of money for it now!

17. Suggest holding on to see if my results are verified by other Termi owners

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. If the 821 beats the multi in acceleration, suggest you get another rider on the multi ;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Tobers

If I was you I would send your Dyno Graphs to Ducati UK and get them to explain

1. Why the standard DVT graphs look nothing like the graphs in their sales literature and the numbers are way down from their published bike stats.

2. Why their Performance Exhaust does not deliver the Power Gains that they Promise.

Clearly from a Sale of Goods Act - they are selling something that is not what they advertise - so misrepresenting what they are selling.

Offer them the ability to do their own testing to prove otherwise and see what their responce is.

20. Mention the emmisions debacle, that should do it ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information