1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dyno Remap

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Wasted Time Lord, Sep 16, 2021.

1. This is new to me, although not the concept. And obviously the systems are more capable now than in 2003 when my 999 was born. Thus you might expect that, in the beginning, were stored profiles for different uses: touring, fast riding, out-and-out racing; with adjustments for e.g. fitting performance exhausts.

But now I've seen so many recommendations for a remap to recover lost performance, I can only see one logical explanation. It must be a given that the bike is otherwise optimal before getting it dynoed - clean air filters for a start, new plugs, gapped, and so on - what you're practically left with is loss of performance due to wear: rings, piston/cylinder slack, valve wear, even perhaps camshaft wear (and cam belt stretch?).

Is that it? That thanks to computers we can vernier-adjust the fuel and ignition systems to keep an engine at optimum until the point that wear reaches critical?

And I suppose, then, not everything wears out at the same time, so not everything is replaced, so remapping is still, if not essential, desirable, 'because you can'?

Have I got the gist of it, here?

2. No.

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. Well, that clears that up!

I feel like I can throw my books away, now!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Without going into huge detail ,re-mapping fills in the holes in your power curve which are there due to emissions laws ,euro 1,2,3,4,5 etc ,bottom end ,mid range and top end ,and of course if you have just fitted a freer breathing exhaust etc ,the mapping will suit the fueling to your exhaust ,which should mean ,more giddy up :)

5. Standard map is a compromise for regs and overall use. The rest is twiddling.
    Not intended to take up engine wear.

6. And just to add slightly- manufacturers sling a ‘one size fits all’ type map on vehicles. Which it kind of does. A custom remap will tidy it up. And you can certainly feel the sharpness improved. But it won’t fill the gaps of a decaying engine.

I was looking to remap my track bike. But since it’s got 2000 hard miles on it now, I’ll probably leave it until after a rebuild.

7. Fascinating! Being off the road a long time, and before that on something from Meriden, everything since Unleaded is new to me!

Yee-har!
    :grinning:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. I did wonder about that. Or specifically I wondered if someone like Ducati (charging Ducati prices) would map each bike. I thought that would be too good to be true; and I think you just confirmed it.

I'll have to experience this sometime!

That too, though it'll probably never happen.

Right now I'd settle for getting my hearing back!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information