1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 Early 916 Wheels

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by TNR, Jan 12, 2019.

1. As the deep freeze continues here in Canadia, I'm weighing up my winter options. Among other tasks, getting my rims as-close-to-OEM as possible is high on the agenda. As the rear looks today:

20190112_162113.jpg 20190112_161954.jpg

And as it needs to be:

f5a65c86e0bf5d78d70c2b734af627ad.jpg

Getting that lettering outline perfectly back to bare metal looks tricky... has anyone else done this successfully? Technique used?

2. It's fairly easy. Sand the wheels. Paint in the silver colour and then block sand over the lettering to reveal the bare colour .You can then clear coat them or leave them like that if the silver is a topcoat.

3. I see... ok, thanks!

4. I painted the wheels and then dipped the filter of a cigarette in silver paint and tipped the paint on with the filter.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Hi @TNR long time since this thread I appreciate but I’ve a few sets of wheels I would like taking back to original gold, did you ever get yours done and if so do you know the paint code? There’s a few different ones I found on internet but nothing very conclusive

6. Just waiting until the current tires wear out, before tackling it.

Closest I got to the exact code was this:

Ducati kleurwaaier.JPG

This thread is a good one: https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/paint-code.51039/

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Thanks both that’s really appreciated,

@apatchy - I’m impressed your filing system goes back to 2014!

8. Hi @Pete433 Have you tried http://www.rsbikepaint.com. you can search by make/model/year and it gives the specific colours for bike, frame, wheels, engine etc on most models

• Useful Useful x 2
  9. I knew I should have just asked on here before trawling the inter web for hours...
    Cheers all really helpful. The RS paints are a little expensive but seem to have the model listings pretty spot on, I’ll shop around with the above info see where I end up. I’ve three sets of wheels I need to do so I’ll see how I fair

10. Looking at the 20 year old wheels on my ST4

The rear wheel has paint rubbed thin in one place , and flaking off in another ( see photo )
    Front wheel is perfect , apart from maybe the same fade-down as the rear ?

I looked on the RS site and it gives me Bronze as frame colour , it but doesn't mention wheel colour
    separately ..... does that mean they must be the same ?

I'm crap at anything to do with painting , colours , artwork ....all of it !
    So eye just can't tell by I ..... :)

At a guess , I'd say the wheels had a lacquer finish and the frame didn't ....
    ..... can anyone confirm ?

Rear wheel 1.jpg

11. i noticed the same, i think the difference was a matt finish on the wheels, shown in TNR's and Apachy's post above with "opaco" (italian for opaque or matt). the only thing that confuses me on the website, assuming the frame and wheels are the same colour, is the website only offers a satin finish

Do Not Sell My Personal Information