1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Early Frame Numbers

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by wolfram, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Hi,

I have just started my second restoration project. This time it is a very early bike. with engine number 222 - has anyone any knowledge of an earlier bike?

I'll post pictures and run a commentary as last time. It should be less trouble than the previous machine, as it runs and has had an MOT as recently as 2016.

Phil

2. Well, it is nearly two years on from my original post about my next project. Truth be told, I really struggled with motivation on this one. I thought I would wizz through it using all the experience I got from the last project, but life got in the way. I also had a serious illness part way through 2019 to deal with.

So far, I have got 298 running, serviced and MOT. Fork seals and new fork oil. New igniters, New neutral switch, brake switch and oil pressure sensor. It is frame number 298 and engine number 222. It has pretty much all original features of the earliest bikes, sold in April 1991 on an H plate, including black calipers.

Is it the earliest in UK?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  3. Nice.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. +1 on the Nice!
    Mines a little later with gold calipers on a J plate!

5. I hope you have got better, thought you had been quiet for a while, this is in addition to the black/orange/yellow/red one?
    Looks great

6. Earlier than mine "H" plate June 1991 Frame 1701 Engine 1723.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yep Ian, It' number two! I'm trying to keep it 100% stock. Having said that it has had 944 pistons and barrels in the past. Not sure about the cams, they might be Zs, ill have to check.

Just got the MOT last week, John Cellier had to help me out with the starter motor issue and fork rebuild etc.

I'm back to good health now, thanks for asking! We must organise another run around the Scottish Borders this summer.

Not sure it will be on this one though, I might have to sell it.

Phil

8. The frame on 298 looks a little like a prototype compared to my J reg bike (in the 2000's). I think they might have made an early batch of bikes to get to the press/dealers pre-launch. It is certain that the 900ss on the cover of April 1991 'Bike' Magazine is a prototype. It has a Pantah engine.
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I'm up for a run this year Phil, I didn't get much in the way of pleasure trips on the bike last year.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information