1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 Early Vs Late 996 Sps...

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by AndrewS, May 2, 2018.

1. Apart from the Ohlins forks, what are the differences between early and late SPSs? Is either more desirable, or is it more down to condition etc?

2. id always go for the ohlins model, early ones had dark grey wheels and gold frame too.

3. 1999 gold frame/black wheels/showa
    2000 grey frame/grey wheels/ohlins

4. Thanks both. Are the Ohlins on the later model really a lot better than the Showas?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. The Ohlins look nicer but they leak more often around the seals than showa do,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but both years look great:)

6. To be honest most road riders wouldn't notice the difference between ohlins and showa suspension.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I think they might... they, like me, may not be in tune enough to put their finger on exactly what the difference is but from my experience there definitely is one.
    I fitted an onlins shock and ktech internals on the front ( to the showa's) and although I'm not mc guiness, it was the best mod I did...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Fair do's of your fitting k tech stuff or ttx ohlins, but standard road ohlins I don't think are much better than showa.

9. Agreed - "standard road Ohlins" are nothing like as good as the proper race kit I think? So it's mainly a "bling thing".

@chizel - roughly what did it cost to put the K-tech internals in the Showa forks?

10. Not real sure as I got some other stuff done to my forks at the same time ( anodizing uppers, DLC on the sliders and powder coating on the leg ends/ calliper mounts) it came in at £1100 but from memory it was 7- 750 for the ktech stuff (full kit)
    The compamy was Brooke suspention and they were really good to deal with. Worth a call...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Thanks for that - Bradford is a bit of a hike from Suffolk (!) but MCT are quite close to me and they have a good reputation.

12. Motor and running gear the same IFAIK, its juts the gold bling factor and wheels/frame

13. Did the later bikes not have the same frame as a Foggy Rep with the deeper crossmember?

14. IIRC no, the airbox etc is all the same too as earlier ones. Although, this is from research I did well over 10 yrs ago so memory could be fading....

15. Yes, I just thought all the later ones had a 'Kyalami' frame but still with the original twin injector system outside the airbox. The early RS airboxes extended into the steering head area for more volume and these fit an SPS frame, the later ones and 748R airboxes don't fit because of this crossmember.

16. I get ya. My ohlins shock is a based model I believe. It made a huge difference but the bulk of that was probably that it was as new and serviced and replaced a 15 year old tatty showa unit...
    The others plus was I got some cool ohlins stickers with it!!!

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information