1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Ebay 748 Sps For £5700

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Kevin Tallant, May 6, 2018.

1. Hi all, I fancy another yellow one ( no redist abuse please !) & 998s etc are getting beyond my reach, really like the idea of owning a sps in some form before I'm so old I can't cock leg over it. Want a sunny Sunday rider that will be deprecation proof.
    What's the verdict on this one ? They seem to have dropped price by a grand & it never gets above £4700 ish in auctions (below reserve)
    Have no real knowledge of these bikes so feel free to educate me.
    Thanks in advance Kev

Screenshot_20180506-184739.png

2. If a proper SPS and in good condition/ service history...a bargain. Seem to be hovering in the £6-7k bracket at the moment. I had an R 2000 model and was a great bike.

• Like Like x 1
  3. The price looks good to me:upyeah: but the only downside is a mechanic did say to me last year they (748sps) are expensive to setup/service

• Like Like x 1
  4. If this is a genuine SPS it's an early one. I have a 1999 748SPS and the graphics are of the more "modern" type. The ones shown on this bike are the earlier type and it could even be an SP. Provenance is important with these bikes so make sure you check it thoroughly before buying.

They also came new with a paddock stand and a dust cover, the cover being highly sought after as they tend to disintegrate after a while and litterly turn to dust if they are used to cover the bike. The material is quite reminiscent of a J cloth!! and it can also rip easily as it ages.

The end cans are not originals either. The rest of the bike needs to be checked thoroughly to make sure it has the correct parts for the era.

Only 100 of these bikes were ever imported directly to the UK over the three years they were sold. Mine cost £12250 when new, which was a lot of money for the time and i think they eventually peaked at £10500 at one point.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Add says 1998 & appears to have the floating discs like my superlight. Thanks for the advice, I'm going to email and ask some questions armed with your info & a few other bits I've picked up from searches on this great forum.
    Kev

6. I can put you in touch with a chap with an SP for £3800 if you are interested? Think its needs belts and a service as its been sat a couple of years, was imported a while back too so history isnt the best..

7. Many thanks Messer, the sp sounds tempting but with little history & needing belts, service, shims & rockers checking etc, I'm kind of reaching sps money. Just for my own sad snob value I'd like a sps.
    Regards Kev

8. They are very long, never seen any quite like them...

9. #9 noobie, May 7, 2018
    Last edited: May 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Hasn't that got the later forks and earlier body work??

11. I have half an eye on this bike so this thread is an interesting read. It is a Japanese import, came to the UK in 2015. The garage says it has proof from Ducati that it is a genuine SPS. The exhaust is a £1500 titanium unit, but its not to my taste tbh.
    I am looking for my girlfriend who is opening a trendy coffee shop and wants one to put on show and I've always fancied one and would get to ride it until her place opens :).
    But I want what ever she buys to not depreciate, ideally appreciate over the next 5 years. I am new to Ducati so I wouldn't spot any problems with it in terms of wrong parts fitted, which worries me, so I would be interested in any advice. Also any other suggestions of an alternative bike to pick would be great too.

12. Check the paperwork (proof) from Ducati... offer £5k due to the exhausts, wingys on the fork tubes and Carbon crap on the top yoke....;)

13. The seller has confirmed the fairing and forks are all original to the bike, the problem I have is I don’t have enough experience in these bike to know.

14. There are some really knowledgeable guys, on this forum, and hope they come forward and give the pics a once over... :thinkingface:

• WTF WTF x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  15. Yes I could do with there experience on this one.

16. I bet you do before I do. I'll give it about 3 days. :thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. The one pictured at the start of this thread is not very original, you can see it has anodised frame and matching handlebar bungs which are not standard, the clutch slave also appears to me to be an aftermarket item. It does have an Ohlins shock by the look of it which was fitted to the original model.

The side panels are also black whereas the SPS had painted side panels. Personally I would avoid this bike as it could prove to a lot less than original on very close inspcetion.

Imported SPS's, from my experience, tend to sell for less and will also not appreciate as much as a genuine UK model. The fact that only 100 were imported is what makes them rare and more of a collectors item. The SP was imported in greater numbers and was of a different specification mechaically. An older SP could be better buy.

There are several detail and mechanical differences that set an SP and SPS apart from a stock 748\748E.

The SPS when new came with standard 45mm end cans and also a set ot Carbon Termignoni's and the related ECU chip. Many dealers kept the cans and did not sell them with the bike but sold them as a seperate item. Original Termignoni's are different to the later oners sold with 996's and 998's. They also had no sticker on the carbon part of the can.

The owners manual for the SPS was only for that model and was not a generic item.

#20 Red998, May 9, 2018
    Last edited: May 9, 2018
    • Useful Useful x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information