1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 Ebc Discs And Race Pads

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by 749er, Feb 6, 2021.

1. I decided to fit the Pani with track pads since that’s where it lives these days and so never sees the roads. To save switching over disks all the time I fitted the BST Carbon fibre wheels with EBC disks too. It now feels as heavy to push around as my K1300S so the pads are dragging.

Is this normal for EBC?

2. Got the wheel in the right way round? Are they defo the right parts?

Are the pistons all the way back and moving freely ?

Are they thicker discs than standard ?

I will confess I’m not an ebc fan. But some like them. Get it up on the stands and hand rotate the wheels. Should be fairly easy to see / feel / hear where the problem is

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yes, everything is back on how it should be. Done it quite a few times. Bought the discs through my Ducati dealer so assume they are right. I had heard good things about the EBC track pads so thought I would give them a go. No idea what they are like.

the bike is in the house at the moment but I can get the stands up from the garage and check it next weekend. Also check their thickness with the micrometer

#3 749er, Feb 7, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  4. I had ebc discs on my r1 they were horrid. Swapped them out for series oro brembos and sc pads the improvement was night and day . Ebc brakes went straight in the bin

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Time for a lot of investigation work!
    As Advikaz says , just have a good look at things, and start measuring/ comparing old/ new thicknesses

Are the discs thicker than your last set?

Are the pads thicker than your last set?

Is the disc running central in your calipers? The pads aren’t all off to one side??

Sometimes if you fit a load of new stuff and it’s all on top size , it has to push the pistons back so far to fit everything in it has the effect of pressuring the brake lines and this causes dragging.

I’ve had this on my mountain bike with Hope 4 piston calipers, the new pads were thicker than the standard Hope pads and the disc was binding, I overcame it by just cracking the bleed nipple off by 1/4 of a turn to let a tiny bit of fluid escape.
    I’m NOT advocating that you do this on your Ducati, but excess brake line pressure could be your problem, have you got an old set of pads that you could drop in just to test this in the garage??

• Useful Useful x 2
  6. I've had a few different makes of pads that benefitted from taking the sharp edge off the back plates. Literally 30 secs on each pad with a small file,
    just placing the smallest chamfer on the edges of the plate where they come in contact with the caliper body.

Many of the track/race guys in Sweden used to run without the anti rattle spring plates fitted, but I never needed to go that far.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. My 1198 track bike had terrible brake drag, even running serie oro discs and seemingly irrespective of which pads I was using, I found fork and caliper alignment was critical, removal of the caliper dust seals and anti rattle springs helped too, as did chamfering the pad back plates as @990Glen mentioned. They now run freely :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. To me it seems that most normal / typical issues have been covered in this thread

9. Sorry probably not want you wanted to hearo_O I’ve also run EBC set up on an older project fast road and track day tool. Never ever got a confident feeling what so ever! and brake fad was on another level :dizzy: terrible modulation.... the only positive thing was the price point!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. The GPfax stuff isn’t too bad. But it murders discs.

I’ve always chosen Brembo over ebc tbh

11. Not cheap but worth the extra! Demon braking, Zero fad, excellent feeling at the lever every time without the dramas...

D7338526-256B-4C66-AF4A-F513F13E89EB.jpeg DDE041EE-47FF-4ADD-A0F9-A23DF1F4BF21.jpeg 7D65D72C-7FC1-4021-870C-0A72A1266538.jpeg 8B44A846-2F61-4605-9D73-D6EADF51244C.jpeg 90858E4B-0668-4206-BA0E-1079C1437579.jpeg

• Like Like x 7

12. Yip, those are the pads I have fitted. Thought that the EBC disks would be a better choice in terms of wear. Not based on any knowledge just the expectation that EBC would design their disks with their pads in mind.

Some good tips there, so will check those out. Thanks everybody

13. the gpfax stuff isn’t crap by any stretch mate. It’s good for the price point.

not a fan of the discs though

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Never tried the discs, but used the pads in my last bike and nearly went over the handle bars at the end of the back straight at snetterton so they aren't bad :joy:.

15. They do say not for road use right enough

16. Are the bobbins all floating nicely ,or do they need a light lube and freeing up ?

17. only my old blade..... The ZX10 was Leon Haslams BSB winning bike from a couple of years ago. Bournemouth Kawasaki is my second home:) Even though I don’t ride a green machine anymore:D

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  18. There seems to be very little movement in the bobbins at the moment.

the old pads were completely used up and Snells did a fluid change when the discs were fitted. I fitted the pads later.

the fluid level is correct and I have opened up the reservoir to reduce any pressure there might have been by pushing the pistons further back.
    I will stick it up on the stands on Saturday.

when loading it and my 749 into the van my mate commented that the panigale was heavier. It is about 30kg lighter with the apparent difference in weight being due to the pads binding.

19. The reason i mentioned the bobbins, is my front brakes were binding when i put my bike in for its service, it was surprising how stiff the wheel was to turn . Anyway turns out it was the bobbins and after they were sorted out you could spin the wheel freely .

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information