1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Ecu Gone Bad....again?!

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Connor, May 29, 2017.

1. Hi Everyone!

I had an immobiliser issue with my 999 a while back, which you guys helped with greatly and I ended up getting it removed by Avanti race parts (can't recommend enough!).

Unfortunately I now have another issue, I went to start up the bike to go on a ride to the Glasgow Ducati grand opening on Sunday after reseting the TPS (I balanced the throttle bodies in the previous week and it sometimes cut out at low RPM). All was well until I turned the key, the temperature gauge was just dashed lines, the fans went on and it wouldn't want to start.. fast forward 24hours and I've also found out that it fully opened the injectors and flooded the engine.

Now, The details.

I have two error codes 1.1 (TPS disconnected) and 3.1 (coolant temp sensor shorted to power), Which I understand share the same ground as each other and also the Diagnostic port. If I ground the middle pin of the Diag connector all is well which in my mind bypasses the engine 29 pin - "SNSGND2" and ground directly to the battery.

I've heard that if you connector the fiat adaptor backwards it can cause this? I'm really not sure I did wire it backwards as I'm quite careful and I'm not actually sure if it would work if it was wired backwards?

Anyway... I need to be on a ferry to the isle of man on Wednesday night, So please for holy shit fuck sake, help. Can I do anything or do I need to send the ECU away again?

2. Apparently the ecu earth can cause all sorts of grief if it's not perfect. Has to be well worth a try...

3. I have spare uncoded 59M with dp map you can borrow. Can post from Essex tomorrow.

• Like Like x 2
  4. You sir, are a legend. If I can figure out how to message you on this i will!

5. Got your pm and replied.
    Keith.

6. Thought I'd follow up on what happened...

After hours of faffing about on Sunday night (had to leave for the TT on Tuesday) I took it a run in the pishing rain at about 1am and everything seemed quite good, it didn't really like to start but I could live with that.

On tuesday, went to start the bike and it just wouldn't..

I get engine management lights during cranking for TPS errors but I've checked the TPS on DucatiDiag, ScanMX5 and on a multimeter for ground, signal and power. The TPS is fine, The ECU...not so much.

The icing on the cake is that the sprag starter clutch has completely gone, press the starter and it just freewheels and doesn't turn over the engine..but hey! who needs money?! *cries slightly*

I ended up borrowing a Triumph Speed triple 1050 for the week of the TT, I'm slightly glad as it was fairly rainy and its a bit more comfortable in the wet and doesn't want to kill you all the time like the 999.

So.. New DP ECU, Microtec or Nemesis is the question. I have a spare fuel tank and a power commander 3 so that should free up some funds to get a new ECU. What do you folks recommend?

7. If you have an early bike then fit an IAW5AM off a later 848/1098/1198/HM flashed to a 999 map.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yeah If i get another factory ecu I'll just get the cheapest one I can get my hands one and get it re-flashed. My worry is if it happens again..!

9. i've had one ECU go Pete Tong since 2005 and that was because it got full of coolant.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I was able to get an 848 ecu for 70 quid and Chris was really helpful about flashing it for my 999.
    He reckons these later ECUs are much more robust than the oem 999 ones.
    If you have the diagnostic kit, you may be able to flash your own map, Chris will know.

11. I was able to get an 848 ecu for 70 quid and Chris was really helpful about flashing it for my 999.
    He reckons these later ECUs are much more robust than the oem 999 ones.
    If you have the diagnostic kit, you may be able to flash your own map, Chris will know.

12. You can flash ecu's with Ducati diag?!

Hmm.. might go fishing for a later one then!

13. I'm not sure tbh but getting the later ecu and getting it flashed, if you can't do it yourself, is apparently the more future proof solution, as the later ECU is definitely more robust.
    I'm sure @chrisw will let you know if flashing it yourself is an option or not.

14. Diagnostic only. No reflash capability.

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information