1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 Education Required..... 998 V 998s

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by tcrofty7, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Although the 916 series Ducati was my childhood dream bike I never really studied them in any great detail, I mainly salivated over them and wishing I could afford one!

I would love to own a 998 to ride occasionally around the block and to take to bike meets but I have no idea on what's good and what's not and what the difference in models are. Now I could spend hours researching this on the forum and good old tinternet, but why do that when you delightful people can do that for me?

I'll now sit back, put my feet up and look forward to being education on the 998!!!!

TIA :bucktooth::upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  2. 998 is 2cc bigger than the 996.

Happy to help.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. The 998 is the phase three and the final model before the not so pretty 999 series kickin.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I'm going back in time now...

Base 998 didn't have a deep sump motor from memory and made around 123BHP, whereas the S model did have a deep sump (sand cast) motor and made 136BHP, the R model made around 139, maybe 140BHP.

All variants had 5 spoke Marchesini wheels, the base had Showa suspension front and rear, the S had Ohlins rear shock but still Showa upfront, R's had full Ohlins front and rear.

Base model had a non adjustable steering damper (I think), whereas S and R had Ohlins damper.

Base and S models were available in Biposta and Mono formats, R's were only available as a Mono, and there were a number of limited editions throughout the 998's production.

Bayliss Replica - I think they produced something like 400 of these, based upon the 998S, standard 998S specification but came with Ohlins upfront and termi slip ons, plus numbered yokes, plaque in a box and a cover and paddock stand, and a Bayliss replica paint scheme.

Bostrom Replica - They made 3 runs of 155, US, Europe and rest of the world. Same spec as the Bayliss but paintwork based upon Ben's helmet of the era, this also had a blue frame, blue wheels, blue grips, blue paddock stand. US spec was based on the 998 (not S model) due to emissions but they had carbon bodywork and BB had signed the tank, Europe and ROTW has the S motor.

Final Edition (FE) - 998S again basically the same spec as the Bayliss/Bostrom reps, I don't think they were limited in the sense that when they were gone they were gone, but there was a cut off date when they would stop making them - in total 562 produced.

Finally the 998R, homologated replica carbon bodywork all round (apart from the nosecone), titanium internals, Ohlins all round, not sure on numbers produced.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Yep… all of the above! Spot on

• Like Like x 1
  6. Maybe i should have pointed out that i wasn't wasted for the majority of my teenage years and do know about the different models and special editions.

I simply didn't know the difference between the 998 models in terms of specification.

@Advikaz awesome buddy :laughing:

@XH558 when i first saw the 916 i thought wow, but when they updated the looks of it (wheels) on the 996 and 998 i thought wow wow!! I hate those 3 spoke wheels now. I also didn't like the 749/999 when they were released but they have grown on me, not enough to own though!

@Freak cheers for that. The engine between base and S model looks the biggest difference then? All the other stuff is easily upgradable. Did all base models from first production to end of production not have the deep sump? And what is it about the deep sump that is better?

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. not sure if the 998s has ti rods and light weight crank like the 996s ??

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. The 998 base shared the last iteration of the Desmoquatro engine with the 996R, the 998S had the all new Testastretta engine. Andy

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Does that mean the new engine is better Andy?

And when i say better i obviously mean able to manage more than 3 runs a year without breaking down?

10. Narrow heads, deep sump, new engine designed from the crank up which went on to power the 999 and with an increased bore, pretty sure, the 1098 and 1198. Although Ducati have experienced breakdowns in almost all (if not all) their models, you only hear of the failures, no-one says how wonderful their experience is. Look after it and do all the correct things for riding ‘on the odd occasion’ and it should be as reliable as most non mass produced 20 year old bike. Andy

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Not all 998 / 998S s had sandcast cases. The sandcast engines had the Ti rods fitted and just about R spec.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Wasn't the 996R a Testastretta engine?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Yes, just catching up the 996R was the first of the testastretta engines, the 998 series being fully testastretta. Only the R had Ti rods (996R also had Ti internals).

Good link here which provides some further info (notice the different bore/stroke for the R's)

https://ducati-specs.com/models/ducati-998.html

• Useful Useful x 2
  14. Great information.

Why did the 2002 998 have more power than the 2003?

Also can't believe the seat hight. Perfect for my short arse!!

15. Ducati changed the way output power was expressed in the advertising blurb without actually changing the power output. Andy

16. A28AC6D6-E6BA-49B9-AF49-391F1BC67CA3.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 2
    • WTF WTF x 1
    • Funny Funny x 5
  17. You're a twat @Advikaz :joy:

But on point :punch:

• Funny Funny x 1

18. Love you.

In the mouth.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. This /\/\
    My '03 999S has the 998 testa engine (deep sump etc).
    Had a full monty service at Cellier BVT a couple of years ago just after I bought it. Probably shouldn't say this but it's been faultless ever since (with a new quality battery just to be sure).

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information