1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric Only?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Ian, Jan 19, 2020.

1. I’ve seen a house which relies entirely on electricity. There’s no gas or oil at all. Surely this must cost a fortune on the heating side or am I somewhat out of date comparing things to a rattly three bar heater?
    It was a new build and the sales person assured us that today’s homes are unbelievably good for heat conservation but to me with electric heating you’re just burning ten pounds notes.
    Any opinions please?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Won't it have an energy rating?

3. Most houses here have only electric heating , the systems have come along way but also all new builds are of airtight construction so they heat very easily and that's the key ! The system in an old house would struggle to provide sufficient heat .

• Like Like x 1
  4. Maybe the roof is completely covered in solar panels

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. What about damp from moisture in an airtight home?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. We have a small cottage that only has electric. We have a wet system so basically an elect Boiler that heats the water for the hot water cylinder as well as the radiators.
    We have contemplated the idea of replacing the existing boiler with an electric combo boiler. Much as you would with a gas boiler.
    Yes it isn’t as cheap as gas. E are very careful with how we use it. The ironic thing is that for heating the system electric is do much more efficient BUT it’s not as cheap by the unit as gas so a double edged sword!
    Good or bad I think that they are planning on all new builds having electric over gas at some point. They need to bring down the cost of the combi hardware and also do something to bring the unit price of electric down.

7. Electric will become more prevalent for home heating. It's efficient at point of use, but it's costly. Very low maintenance. Bla bla bla Climate emissions is the driver.

8. You will still have passive or mechanical ventilation. Sealing up homes as in airtight doesn't work for the very reason you state.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. It will but I’m just after ideas about the concept. I’m still investigating at present. I don’t think the building work is at a stage where they will have been sorted...

10. Depends how much you generate yourself I guess

• Like Like x 1
  11. Working in the houses I find the heat horrible I find the houses stuffy , I'm replacing heating system at the minute but wouldn't consider the passive system ! It reminds me of being stuck in an airconditioned building

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. After five years of cooking and general living, there might just be a "whiffy" smell, ingrained into the wall and carpets... Not for me!

13. Ground source heat pumps (GSHP) should be used with an electrical heating system.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. The problem is that people close up the ventilation, stuff things into the vents. Then complain because the walls are black. Usually these homes feel like a sauna.
    Remember, the UK builds houses for UK people. Someone arrives from a different climate, they sometimes find it difficult to quickly adapt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Got electric radiators and chauffe-eau, eletric oven, gas hob from bottle and a woodburner.
    Rural area and possibility of elec cuts with storms. Wood is a renewable. Been using the same gas bottle for a year now.
    We did look at pellet fed boilers, but they need electricity! Also over a barrel if prices go up. Which is bound to happen as they get more popular.
    Did a full “space blanket” installation to the underside of the roof last year. Added benefit of reducing heat in the summer. 42degrees was the high last year. A bit warm!
    Electricity costs not bad, but we use washer, dryer after 9pm, costs 30% less then.

16. A washing machine costs 40p per load while drying clothes in the tumble dryer costs 35p. So you might save £21 over a year.

17. How does cost compare to uk tho?

18. £21 extra for petrol...:upyeah:
    Might as well save the money though. No benefit to us using the machines before 9. Just empty them next day.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Similar tbh.

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. My family own some shops in London. My brother is overseeing the rebuild of one of he properties. You are not allowed to fit gas in commercial properties now and after 2025 you will no be able to install it in domestic property.

I've got gas that just does my hot water - my heating is night storage - but my gas heater is dodgy and I was going to replace it. My brother suggested that I look into electric for the hot water as new builds will have to have it soon. I spoke to a plumber about replacing the gas heater with electric and he just hung up!

There are many dinosaurs who can't keep up... Nothing wrong with fantasising that all electricity is green! Some people (like Tesla) will do very well out of the fantasy!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information