1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric Questions

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by Gilk, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Just got a 98 ST2 and I know they can have a few charging problems, so was thinking of trying to be ahead of them and it before they arive.
    At the moment the battery light comes on at low revs when the headlight is on, is this normal or does this show up a problem?
    Was thinking of changing regulator for a more reliable one, any good replacments for the singe phase one?

2. I'd be looking to check the charging voltage at the battery with the engine running and the headlight on, using a multimeter.
    Based on the voltage you get under those conditions, the next steps to see if there's anything wrong can be derived!
    I'm sure some knowledgeable people will be along with experiences of the single-phase alternator - you could also look in the 900SS and Monster forums for some info I'd guess.

3. any reg/rec off a big jap only use 2 of the 3 pins 98 st 2 wire 1 phase output ducati reg/rec is a shunt type big jap is mossift which controls any extra volts, shunt type dumps to ground any extra volts start at the battery and check volts at 2500/3000rpm
    then check wires at stator cut as close as you can solder new upgrade wires to reg/rec same for battery wires inc the main fuse 40amp the starter motor wires
    lets get volt reading at battery at those rpm first only engine running no lights no fan you should see i think 14.00/14.5 v at 3000rpm will get my notes ref out put on st98 year mine turned the corner after wier upgrad and a mossift reg/rec of ebay fitted when all sorted fit a led volt meter on top in fill panel on the left hand side as you sit on the bike under the infill panel large multy plus un clip and clean some times rain water can get in every thing switched off key in your pocket
    mike

look for any signs of a botch job around the 2 yellow wires at the stator may be a dry solder joint
    sorry panels off some one be along like buses wait and 2 come

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. All good info above.

5. Thanks, think i might go down the jap path but have one question, there are 4 wires out the red and black are obvious but what about the other 2? would I have to get a Jap bike rec with 4 wires out?

6. Hi you don't need them yiu only need two
    Mike

Four wires out of which reg/the Duke will have two in from stator two out to bike battery

7. The 4 wires to your regulator are red = +ve out, black = -ve out to ground, 2 x yellow = ac input from alternator.
    Look for a Shindengen Mosfet regulator like this
    Shindengen Connections.jpg
    They are used on most modern Ducatis, Triumphs and many Japanese bikes. The have 3 input terminals but you only need to connect your 2 yellow alternator wires to 2 of them leaving the other terminal with no connection.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Derek
    To the fore again good job
    Mike

9. As part of the exercise I would have a good look around and check/clean of your loom and connections over all the bike. That is what got me off the road for a while

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Only a minor point in the grand scheme, but worth noting that the dashboard battery warning light will not work without the original type single phase reg rec.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information