1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric Vehicle Home Chargers

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Ackers, Jun 18, 2022.

1. Guessing some of you have these, can you tell me typically how long the cables are, are they attached to the charger on some sort of reel or is it a case of a length of cable with a plug each end?

Company are keen to role out electric vans and are looking for engineers with suitable home solutions (off road parking, own home etc) but whilst on my drive my van isn’t parked next to the house so wondered if the cable will reach?

can’t see it happening to be honest as my working area is 150+ miles a day at least once a week and the company will have to pay me 60p per kWh if they want to use the energy my solar panels generate and I can’t see them doing that.

2. My PodPoint charger has a 5m cable with plug. It is mounted on my garage near to where my car is parked. Check YouTube and look at the stuff from Artisan Electrics. He has posted videos of some of his ‘awkward’ installations, like at flats with allocated parking spots.
    A nearby holiday cottage has a remote charging point that is installed in a parking area, the cabling has been run underground and the point is a tower with socket to accept a charging cable. It is protected by hoops to stop cars driving into it.

D057EF67-4CC5-41EC-9D96-4C51DB543BC5.jpeg 4FFA6FC9-5746-48AA-9D19-51A921FFA8A7.jpeg

3. I use a project EV charger
    The 3m cable with a male socket on one and and a female socket on the other came with the car (BMW 330e)
    I suggested a retractable cable option but was informed there might be a potential for the cable to melt during charging if not fully extended.
    Mine is located on the rear of the front garden wall via an isolation switch mounted nearer to the house.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information