Electric Vehicles - An Observation

Discussion in 'Speakers Corner' started by Arquebus, Sep 20, 2019.

1. I was on a major dual carriageway doing a 200 mile drive the other day and I happened to pass two petrol filling stations where they are situated on opposite sides of the road.

I noticed that the one on my side of the carriageway had EV charging points - I think there were five points.
    They were all occupied and a queue of six or more vehicles appeared to be waiting to use them.

The one on the opposite side of the carriageway seemed to have the same set-up; but the spaces were all empty.

On my return trip, an hour and a half later, the situation appeared to be just the same as I first spotted it. I'm assuming the cars that were charging this time were not the same, though.

I didn't have to fill up.......a tankful of petrol will let me go 600 miles without stopping to re-fuel.

I just wondered to myself how many of those that were charging and waiting were capable of doing the same trip as I was, in the same time.

2. None of them!

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. No, the technology isn't there. and even if it was the sums don't add up. Has anyone done a true comparison of the environmental damage done by making and using E vehicles compared with conventional. To include losses in power distribution etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Nearly everytime i see a Tesla over here on the autobahns, it is crawling along in the inside lane while everything is passing it. Other than in urban environments these things seem flawed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I think it has been done several times, and like the Brexit referendum and polls the answers are always not desired :thinkingface:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Electric charging points have become like ladies public loo's :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. on average, each car would need £5 of lecky per day. with 20% of the EU's renewable capacity. i say bring it on.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  8. The only cars that wouldn't play when I popped over for a few days were teslas.

9. I'm led to believe that they go very rapidly..... and then stop :eek:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. as rapidly as they go ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. yip. hydrogen hydrogen hydrogen.
    i see i'm gonna have to get the sturge telt.

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  12. The Tesla broke down while attempting a lap record here this week. The guy in the Porsche Taycan must have been smiling.
    70617504_10157739816973615_2735849731820355584_n.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  13. We're there already dude, hydrogen busses in Aberdeen - just nobody uses busses :thinkingface:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ar, that's what was happening, I saw if on an FB page. I take it 'lap record' was in terms of distance rather than time ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. I'm not really seeing many here who are actually speaking from knowledge and experience - or even at times from the appropriate orifice. Until recently, many EVs have been designed - and pitched - as urban/commute vehicles, a) because they fulfilled a need and b) because the £/kWh on battery was prohibitive. The last of these of course has been plummeting of late - both Tesla and VAG appear to be procuring now around the $100/kWh mark, long regarded as the crossover point on cost. So now we have EVs whose unrecharged range comfortably exceeds that of my (or most people's) bladder AND which can be recharged to sufficient to get the the next loo stop in the time it takes to empty said bladder and grab a coffee.

I travel reasonably regularly to Manchester and/or the Yorkshire Dales from the Highlands, so my journey to the latter goes something like: 30 miles of twisty highland roads, with lots of overtaking of slow tourist/agri traffic - 480ps & 635Nm make that a real pleasure, but it does burn amps (averaging about 330Wh/mile. 148 miles of motorway at 75-80ish (310Wh/mile) and I arrive at Tebay with 20kWh left. A 20 minute charge there, on a bad day gets me 30kWh back, so another 27 miles of twisties to Wensleydale leaves me with 120 miles or so of running around without having to charge again. In fact, I plug in overnight and am back up to my day-to-day charge limit of 90% by the morning. Manchester I'll do the same, except I'll give it another 10 minutes at Tebay, giving me 45kWh back, so I'll then do another 110 motorway miles, plus 12 miles of urban trundling, arriving at destination with 27kWh left (about 100 miles of urban range). I'm used to hammering down to Provence or the Alps at a good rate, but I'm not seeing the problem with any of that. Oh, and when it does cost me (have plenty of free miles credit), a 45kWh top-up (150 miles or so) costs me £10.80.

#17 Technomad, Sep 20, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    • Useful x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Face Palm x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Thanks x 1
  16. So, OK a 200 mile journey might cost about £8.00 less than mine, but it would take at least an hour longer.
    I didn't need to stop for fuel, let alone for a coffee and a pee.
    The hour I saved would be worth a damn sight more than £8.00 to me if I was still working.
    Productivity is going to suffer if people are going to have to stop for 30 minutes here; 20 minutes there; etc etc.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. If you can plan your day around overnight charging at home then I can see the advantage, it's only when you are going somewhere beyond a full charge that planning and logistics become an issue - I dare say these things can change in time but we're not there yet. I'd be happy to run an electric car but with a 35 mile commute I'd be getting 'range anxiety' on the way home in winter.
    I'm looking at a 2nd hand diesel CR-V now o_O god I must hate the planet

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. We know you’re a fan techno ;)

It wouldn’t suit many, as there are many enough like me. If I have a pee stop, its that. In the fuel station, pee and maybe coffee to go and gone. If it’s more than 10 min it’s taking the piss ( ;) )

When I can get 400 miles on a single charge doing 80 on mwah and 70-80 on most a roads, and a top of the range equivalent to a 4 series costs 50k, and I have a charge point accessible at home, i’ll Have one.

Maybe...

• Like Like x 1