1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

899 Electrical Issue/flat Battery/smoke From Fuel Tank Cowling

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Paul Mason, Aug 27, 2017.

1. I started the bike for a short journey home and noticed a puff of smoke eminate from the front cowling of the fuel tank on the battery side. It was indicative of a fuse blowing. I got home without issue but the following day the battery was completely depleted. I have checked all the fuses above the battery and they are ok. Have I missed one? I am recharging the battery but I am sure there is an issue with the charging circuit? Would be grateful of any advise before I start to take it apart.

2. I imagine you've got a rectifier that's knackered, when they go they can smoke plus they kill the battery.

3. Cheers Jon, didn't think I'd find any more fuses! :)

4. That's a 959 manual, but I assume they're same or similar

5. Yes it is exactly the same. I removed the rec/reg and did checks with a multimeter which seem to check out ok, battery voltage is good at rec end and I have readings of zero for neg and readings between 432 and 437 for each stator wire although I don't have the Ducati factory readings for comparison? It's not a cheap component so not sure that it is at fault, however I've been wrong on many occasions (ask the wife)
    I have recharged the battery and the bike will not attempt to turn over the starter. The gear change is indicating C with flashing Neutral but I think this is a separate issue. I presume the bike should turn over with or without the reg/rec connected?

6. Update......
    Having charged the battery and checked out the regulator, which appears to be ok, I started the bike today. However to do so I had to take the bike off the side stand because the gear shift had gone into 're-learn' mode (flashing Neutral and C indication in gear position) I tried to carry out a re-learn using a method seen in the monster forum but to no avail. Worrying thing is I did not find the fault that caused the battery to go dead or where the 'puff' of smoke came from !
    I like to resolve probs but I think it's time for a dealer visit.

7. Check the connections to the regulator are clean / free from corrosion. Check that nothing is coming into contact with the exhaust, especially the rear header.
    I had an aftermarket alarm loom come "unbundled" and fell onto the rear header.... loads of occasional cut outs, smoke and other faults... nothing to do with Ducati, just a lazy alarm fitter.

8. I have done the gear shift 're-learn' IAW the Ducati bulletin https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/MC-10086369-5448.pdf
    The dash now indicates correct gears and bike starts with side stand down as normal however the DQS has stopped working ???
    I think I'm creating problems as I go here but it's a good learning process although I've still not established where the smoke come from?? It was around the coil area/under the front of the fuel tank.

9. Could it have been steam from water collected in a spark plug well?

10. It is entirely possible if I hadn't had the electric probs I would have happily slept on that.

The only issue I have now after 'relearning' the gear shift is that the DQS does not work. The DQS option ON/OFF is not available on the Rider Mode menu screen. Even selecting Default factory settings does not resolve the issue.

11. It is entirely possible if I hadn't had the electric probs I would have happily slept on that.

The only issue I have now after 'relearning' the gear shift is that the DQS does not work. The DQS option ON/OFF is not available on the Rider Mode menu screen. Even selecting Default factory settings does not resolve the issue.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information