1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Emergency Tool Kit: What Would You Include?

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Billy London, Aug 7, 2021.

1. So there I was, minding my own business, riding along the Hadleigh bypass (which is a sixty speed limit) when the fuel light came on. No probs I thought, plenty left to get me to the A12 Esso (their ultra has no bio ethanol don't you know?) about 4/5 miles away.

Then she started to splutter, then conked out. Suck fake I thought. Cruised to a stop, on a bend, just passed a sticking out hedge and dusk was on the way. In a tight spot here! Got off and could smell petrol, had a look around and petrol was all over the exhaust pipe! The quick disconnect had spontaneously disconnected. I popped it back on, primed the pump and it popped off again :mad:

So I called the RAC. They said I'd need a recovery truck, which would be coming from Maldon, a good two hours away. Tuck fhat I thought and started to look around for something to wedge between the frame cross member and the connector. The Ducati Godess, although quite unpredictable, brought me a gift to extinguish her ire:

[​IMG]
    A perfectly wedge shaped piece of wood! Amen. I weighed up either waiting for the RAC on a darkening road which the local boy racers (and old wuck fits like me) like to cane it along. I considered the potential danger wood being quite close to the hot header pipe but decided to get myself off home. The picture above was taken the next morning.

It was not a very nice experience and it got me athinking about having a tool kit so I could do some rudimentary repairs by the side of the road. I've spent the last few months reading through all (I say all, I'm upto page 27 of 45!) the posts in the 749/999 section and I'd noticed it's not uncommon for us to conk out on the side of the road.

I had a crimbo present tin left so I set about making a tool kit that could ....

a: get my fairing/s off
    b: carry out a tempory / get me home repair
    c: make me look smart

I came up with this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It contains:

Puncture Repair Kit
    Co2 Bottles And Tyre Valve Doodah (not nitrous oxide, honest)
    Small Roll Of Gaffer Tape
    Torch
    Fuses
    Allen Keys
    Ratchet
    Small Extension Bar
    8, 10 & 13mm Sockets
    Screwdriver (multiple head)
    Cable Ties (biggish & smallish)
    Relay

I have a sleek ruck sack that is not too obtrusive to the riding and fits the kit perfectly.

I realise theres gonna be some ribbing and some will not find this post at all useful, that's fine, I'm 53 and can take the urine being extracted. But for those of you who would consider this a good idea, what vital item would you include in your tool kit?

The life saving wedge of wood is in the rucksack to please the Ducati Godess!

Also, I've stuck some 6mm neoprene to the cross member so that if the new quick disconnects decide to give up, there's nowhere for them to go as they are resting on the neoprene!

And finally to please the bin Godess...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. 3 amp fuses

• Like Like x 1
  3. I have two small blocks of closed cell foam wedged between the frame and QR couplings as a “just in case”.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Those 'Sticky string' puncture thingies are the dog's doodaas :upyeah: But ditch the CO2 bottles and get a small 12v compressor. Add a pair of pliers, or a Leatherman type multi-tool, jump leads and a side stand 'puck'.............and an AA card :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Condom, well you know you never know if you might be rescued by a damsel whilst you’re in distress. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Reminds me of a joke...

So there was this Arabian Prince who was travelling through the desert on his camel to marry a princess. But he’d never had sex before and was worried that he might not be able to perform sufficiently.

He hit on the idea of giving his camel one, to practice like. So he got off the camel, made a pile of sand to stand on and was just about to stick his boner in when the camel just rotated their rear end out of the way. Damn thought the Prince. He rode on some more.

He thought he’d try again and sure enough the camel just moved out the way at the crucial moment.

As he was riding on he came to an oasis and in the middle of the pool was a beautiful stark bollock naked woman drowning. The Prince jumps in and saves her.

The woman, being grateful for being alive offered to do ANYTHING for the Prince. Nudge Nudge Wink Wink.

“ANYTHING?” Asks the Prince. ANYTHING said the woman.

Hold this camel still will you?

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. I carry all of the above... (Not the camel).
    But would also include a tester bulb and length of 2 core cable.

• Like Like x 1
  8. A wiring diagram!

• Like Like x 2
  9. None of the above, credit card, phone, fags, lighter, change for coffee and break down cover; let some other fucker suffer the pain! I know, its happened several times to me and I have NEVER been able to fix the bike. Why sweat it?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. Fuel pump relay, the main item that fails on 749/999

• Like Like x 1
  11. Phone and a credit card. :cool:

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  12. Decent recovery insurance, currently £65pa for UK and Europe, puncture repair kit, 1/4” drive multi set and a small first responder medical aid kit that includes a space blanket. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  13. Depending on where you are riding this might save your neck or speed up your recovery

https://what3words.com/products/what3words-app/

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yep, was told about that app by an NHS paramedic acquaintance who also advised on my first responder kit. Something for insect stings, saline solution ampules to wash minor wounds and eyes, a couple of dressings a decent bandage and a space blanket. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dressings, saline, bandages shock blanket! Jesus pal, where do you ride? Mongolia?

16. At the very least .....

a few pieces of coat-hanger wire , some bits of electrical cable , paper-clips
    and a Leatherman-type multi tool .

Probably shows my age ..... I started out with cheapo Brit bikes that
    had been ragged by everyone and their dog ...... :)

Oh yeah .... an old roasting tin on the garage floor ....
    ... kick it under the bike when you're done riding for the day ..... :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Couple of terminal blocks. Insulation tape. Toilet paper. 500ml water. Hand wipes nicked from mcDonalds. Other outlets available!
    Alternatively….
    Camera crew, transit van, fully equipped. Fixer, multi lingual, Film director, sound director, lighting director, make up, sat phone. 5 star hotel directory, prebooked. Spare bike.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Oh yeah .... that , what you just said ..... and some cable ties ....:p

And some of those gizmos that let you connect into a wire without actually cutting it
    ... blue plastic thingies , about 1/2" x 1/4" , and there's a metal bit on top that you squeeze down
    with pliers , and it makes an electrical connection with the loom wire ,
    and with the wire that you are joining in .

What the hell are those things called ?

If anyone knows , please tell me , so that I can buy a bag of them ....
    .... they are the business !
    :cool:

19. I know! Halfrauds do them, it’ll come to me in a bit. Got a box full somewhere in the garage if I can find it. Next to the house I think. Need a wee! Back soon. My birthday yesterday, got a trophy not arrived yet. Probably take a while.

20. RS components do them 50 for less than £3. Splice connectors. Found the bag in the garage.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information