1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

998 Engine Case Fuel Stained

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Jimbob998, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Hi all,

I am sure this has probably been discussed dozens of times, but does anyone have any advice for removing what looks like milky fuel staining on the back of the rear cyclinder and gearbox casing on my recently purchased 998. Looks like the fuel tank connections were an issue for some time and the previous owner didn't pay much attention to the problem :confounded:

I expect the feedback to be engine out and respray, but thought i’d double check that there aren't any easy hacks first.

Many thanks
    James

2. What model 998 do you have? Are the cases painted?

3. 998 BP. Casings painted as area near swing arm pivot has paint flaking off. Main area of staining is ontop of the vertical cylinder rocker cover, all down the rear face of same cylinder and the area where fluid has been trapped against gearbox casing. Will try and post some photos. Thanks

4. Some photos:-

12D90412-9E49-44A3-A853-C2CF40A002AD.jpeg

FD30F1CC-B9B0-473C-BA8F-6CFB07F30DE7.jpeg

8871B740-1D2A-42AB-92F3-B07C07599E25.jpeg

78B21F70-3D93-4667-B984-26EC95D17CE8.jpeg

5. Tried a bit of wire wool??

6. Had to look twice at that. Thought there was a crack before I realised it was a strand off that black rag.
    Fuel and oil over time will seep into and under the paint. I don’t think those stains will come out. And even if they did, the paint’s bubbled too much anyway to make it look mint. If it were mine, and I wanted a quick fix, I might clean it up as good as I could with the engine in, mask up and rattle can it with a decent matched paint.
    But realistally, for a mint job it’d have to be engine out time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. With the back wheel and subframe off, it shouldn’t be that bad to get at

8. Thanks for the advice guys..
    Its pretty baked on, but will give it a go. Worse case i am happy to drop the engine out and consider painting.
    The bikes done 20k, so it might be an opportunity to check some internals at the same time (if the wallet stretches that far)!

Could anyone advise on the correct paint RAL code for the engine?

9. If you get the engine out you could try a small blaster on it, using soda or whatever.

10. The new spray on wonder wheels product??

11. https://www.motip.com/nl/producten/motip/automotive/tuning-line/engine-paint/

I used the aluminium colored version, an exact match to the original

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. I'd try carb cleaner or Holtz engine clean and a good scrub. The only down side is that you might bugger the paint even more.
    My engine is unpainted to I can use pretty much any cleaner I like. Good luck.

13. Hi, did you have the engine paint stripped / blasted, or did they come bare alluminium on some models? If you did it what would be your advice as i like the sound of an unpainted finish.
    Does it take much maintenance to keep ontop of the ali oxidising?
    Any photos?

14. Some of the 998’S and the R’s came with Sand Cast casings. They look bare but might have some kind of coating on them as they don’t seam to oxidise.

0B9C90E6-A9AD-4D73-8799-3E3CDB1AC129.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  15. My 1972 Yamaha YR5 has bare crank cases and there is no sign of oxidising on them - they have no coating :) but they did use Kawasaki Aluminium :yum

• Like Like x 1
  16. That's a bare sandcasting. nothing on it.

17. No paint on the old 1957 Triumph engine or gearbox.

2017-09-02 11.02.26.jpg
    Steve

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Thats one of the cleanest casings and exhaust i think ive ever seen! Very nice.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Looks spot on Steve!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information