1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine Casing Corrosion

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by ImAGoose, May 21, 2022.

1. How can I properly remove the corrosion on my M796 engine and then protect it from further corroding?

[​IMG]

2. Sand blasted and powder coat?

3. I appreciate I am straying outside of the cleaning topic asking this, and happy for a mod to move my conversation if I am going too off topic in this section.

What would the likely cost of doing this be if I paid a mechanic to get it done and/or how hard would it be for me to strip and rebuild the engine if that was a route I went down?

4. If you gave said technician the complete bike, I’d guess on 4-6 hours labour to drop the engine out (anywhere from £50-£100 per hour dependent on where you go.)
    Then you’ve got strip off old paint (robustly but carefully) prep, mask and repaint with a good etch primer and then engine paint. Again, depends on who you use but I’d guess that’s going to be a good £250-£400 of time and materials to get it looking right.
    Then I’d bet on around 6 hours labour to reinstall.
    When stripped down, the handy man would replace swinging arm bearings (defo), head bearings (optional but probs worth it) and do valve clearances (optional) while access is so easy.
    There will be other stuff like belts and air filter that you could change while the whole things apart that. Also take time to give everything a really good clean prior to rebuild and she’ll go back together like new.

Obviously ain’t gonna be super cheap but if you’re gonna hold on to her then defo worth it.
    Other option is to take off generator casing and clutch casing, strip and repaint separately. Mask off frame etc and paint in situ. Much more of a fiddle but save you a load of cash.

#4 Martin Ducati Glasgow, May 21, 2022
    Last edited: May 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Some people who do this, use Ducati OEM paint. They are insane.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Someone cera-coated the exhaust on this or the monster forum and I was actually thinking of doing it with my engine if I can find a way I can afford to have my engine stripped down and then pieces back together.

7. Or just get Honda paint? My VFR400 is 30 years old and the paint looks new.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I don’t think the paint is actually the problem per se, it is the fact that Ducati don’t etch prime their bare cases before painting.

The paint, no matter whose it is, has no chance of staying on once any moisture gets under it (via a stone chip, or via the edge of a painted case), because once wet, the untreated alloy will fur up and lift the paint. Salt makes it worse, but just water will do it too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. I agree with you, but its about time Claudio asked Volker for an extra 10 lira in the bikes budget for the paint shop to make it happen!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. It looks like the worst problem you've got on the cases is corrosion. That needs to be completely removed and the surface stabilised (etch primer, etc) before any paint, ceracoat, etc otherwise it'll come through again... Very difficult to do thoroughly with the engine in the frame.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information