1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 Engine/gearbox Troubleshooting?

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by The Royal Maharaja, Apr 2, 2022.

1. Hello,

looking for any experience or wisdom..

2006 999 ~12K miles.

So, blasted down the motorway, at admittedly sustained high speed, turned off the motorway coming up to first set of traffic lights doing maybe 30mph, downshifted (not violently...urban area, but used engine braking) bike coughs and instantly cuts out.

Start button gives nothing, try to bump start and find the engine or gearbox is locked solid..no movement in either direction, though I can still get neutral.

Fast forward a year or so, I have stripped the bike down, and with the engine on the bench could get the same symptoms, however in manipulating the engine, on it's side, upside down etc.. I find that the engine is free in all gears, then further fiddling whilst stripping down could get the locked symptoms again.

Nothing wrong with heads, valves, belts..so figured its gearbox related. Yet this morning I have cracked the cases and on a first visual inspection there is no damage to be found. (no metal in oil or chunks in bottom of case either).

Any ideas gratefully received!

Cheers
    Grant

Do Not Sell My Personal Information