1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Engine Light Strangeness

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Sambighair, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Out for a bimble this evening and the bike started running rather lumpy at constant throttle...after 10 min or so it back fired...EML came on...2 mins later another back fire and the light went off!
    Its been stood awhile.
    What do you lot think the cause could be?
    Cheers
    sam

2. Ive recently reset the tps. Its currently at 1.4 degrees

3. Possible Moisture/ corrosion in horizontal coil or ignition relay tucked behind battery box renowned for giving problems -for starters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. The relay has been replaced recently, ill check the coil and spark plugs tomorrow..thanks, i was hoping its some old/off fuel lol

5. No mositure in there but the plug looks like it needs closer inspection......how thin do i need to machine the socket to fit the plug???
    20170831_210848.jpg

6. Only a few £ off eBay.

7. The plugs or the tool lol 14mm thin wall right?

8. I think the plug socket diameter needs to be no greater than 20.5 mm

• Like Like x 1
  9. Twas indeed a 16mm, i had an old 16 mm socket and ground it down today...worked a treat, plugs that were in were iradiums cr9eix, anyhoo after a bit of research ive reverted to the cr9eb plugs, i also noticed a fuel line was pinched on the verticals top so i pushed that back into the aperture under the tank, ill take it for a blast and some fresh fuel later. Hope that cures it!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Didnt sort it completely, it runs better but still has a hesitation and lumpiness on throttle, but now the idle surges slightly and the stalling is back! Bugger!!!
    Il plug it in tomorrow and try to re reset the tps other than that, any suggestions?

11. Crappie coil?

12. How would i check?

13. Try another one. I think there is a way of checking conductivity or something. I have a spare I picked up from eBay I've never tried that I can post you to test with if you like.

Did you try new spark plugs? @nelly says to set the gap at 0.9mm.

Maybe try a new fuel filter?

I think @Old rider had a similar issue in the spring.

You should probably move this thread to the technical section where smarter people than me hang out.

• Like Like x 1
  14. My problem was one cylinder chiming in and out to start with, which then became one cylinder out all the time.
    It turned out to be a coil driver issue which necessitated a replacement ecu to fix.

15. I think is was the horizontal coil...i whipped it all out again and checked the gap on the new plugs, popped tbe black rubber off the coil and the electrode thingy inside was rank, gave it a good clean and after reassembling everything the bike runs beautifully and doesnt stall at all!
    Thanks for your input so far gents!
    Sam

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information