1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine Painting

Discussion in 'Detailing and cleaning' started by Laura Wedgewood, Nov 4, 2020.

1. How do people feel about painting engines a different colour? Contemplating going black!

2. Thats cool but, if you cheapskate it, itll just fall off....eventually and faster if it goes through a winter....And then look worse (or should i say what most ducati engine end up looking like) - shit where all the oem paint has come off...

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. A black engine looks great when clean, but shows the dirt more, even after riding through a light shower, so keeping the great looks will take a lot more effort. As @comfysofa suggests, preparation is everything if embarking on this process. The paint from the factory gets scruffy very easily because the cases are not etch primed, so the paint isn't bonded to the cases, it lies on the surface and the smallest chip lets moisture and salts in and under the paint where the heat then helps it lift and flake off.

There's no point painting over the factory paint for the reason given, so you're best advised to remove all traces of original paint before etch priming the cases and then using the best heatproof paint you can get. I've used Simoniz VHT paint with great results, I've also seen excellent results reported by other forum members using other brands of paint, so there'll be a good choice to pick from.

4. Probably not what you want to hear but if you do want to proceed - i would say split the engine down to the cases and get the lot coated that way....i would suggest cerakote or Xylan (Xylan being the better of the 2 but more expensive...)

Last time i had a motor coated was the Hyper 600 for the job to be done handing over the cases barrels heads etc etc...

#4 comfysofa, Nov 5, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  5. I painted my s4r motor quite successfully using hammerite spray can flat silver. It came out so close to the original it would be hard to tell. I pulled the motor, made some blanking plates for the exhausts and inlets and crankcase breather. I bolted the motor to an engine stand and set about stripping the paint with paint stripper. It came off pretty easy as it was put on badly in the factory. Some very careful masking up and some paint prep solution and I was ready. I put the motor in confinement with a heater and got it almost too hot to hold your hand on. I painted it outside and the hot motor meant the paint tacked off very quickly.I did grey etch primer one day then finish coat the next. 8F82A59C-B15B-44E0-BF12-345A23795363.jpeg 416D95D3-7E7B-4965-A97B-86346E13BAD3.jpeg A1C45946-5A99-4319-871F-1C7B09010881.jpeg 03E1ED65-23DF-4361-B7EA-F27AB3223BBD.jpeg D260329C-5DF8-4BD2-864B-219FD4454155.jpeg If you concentrate on being careful with the nooks and crannies, the open areas take care of themselves pretty much. It has been nearly a year, some drag racing and 10,000km and still good as new.
    My advice is do not strip the motor if you dont have to.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. It will go without saying for the vast majority, but to save that one person the tears, and for the avoidance of doubt, before anyone buys the wrong flavour of Hammerite, there are two flavours, one with a 'Hammered' finish, one 'Smooth' - from the evidence presented, @laava has used the 'Smooth' variety.

#6 Borgo Panigale, Nov 7, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. how long ago laava, and how is your paint standing up to the elements?

8. 14th Dec, so 11 months approx and it is in good nick. Washes up well and seems very durable. Has had a few hot cycles sitting in traffic and has done about 12 runs down the 1/4 mile. Have done about 10,000 km since paint. I used Hammerite, and yes, smooth, on a recommendation from one of the threads on this site.

• Like Like x 1
  9. as said, would be great to see the paint-aging procession on parts painted for 2 or 3 years/exposed to temp and weather extremes as it's possible a clear winner might emerge.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information